What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avoiding kicking the transponder antenna cable

grayforge

Well Known Member
Is there much risk in kicking the transponder cable or BNC connector while flying? Seems like many people position the transponder antenna under the rudder pedal area, so how does one avoid kicking the cable? Are they far enough forward that you just never really reach it?

Thanks,
Russ

-7A

I considered the forward location but opted to put them under the gear weldments in my -7a. It is virtually impossible to kick in this location and provided for the shortest cable run down the sides (ADS-B on left, Transponder on right).

Ah, one thing that was confusing me was mention of the 3' minimum mounting distance of the antenna from the transponder. I think I had it backwards and assumed it had to be within 3'. But now I realize it must be greater than 3' away... correct?

Thanks,
Russ

More than 3' - also I nearly got in trouble with the GPS under cowl and the transponder near the FW. I had to go measure. Yikes, I did not want to move it.

Russ,
I don't see what plane you are building but it is very, very common to use that forward spot with the 6, 7 and 9. Way too far forward to ever kick it.

Unless you plan to tuck your feet behind the rudder pedals for some reason, it isn't an issue. At least, it sure isn't for me.

Chris

Sounds good. I'm building a 7A and will place the Transponder and ADS-B antennas at opposite corners at the bottom of the forward fuselage.

Looks like I'll have to put the Transponder antenna on the right since the Transponder is on the left under the sub-panel and would be within 3'. Might even be within 3' on the right. Hmmm...

You might want to check required separation between the txp and ads-b antenna.
If I remember correctly Navworx wants 4 feet. Other manufacturers may vary.

I've done it twice. Doh!

To my comm Antenna. Not while flying though I was doing something under the panel and broke off the BNC connector which is behind pilot side right rudder pedal by about 3 inches with my clumsy feet somehow. Just today I made a simple shield using the 2 rearmost screws that I hope will prevent the third time.

Don't forget every antenna needs a ground plane to work properly, 8" dia. for the xpdr is recommended.

Back