What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hunting down a short

M5fly

Well Known Member
My 5 amp circuit breaker for the panel lights tripped this morning, any ideas on where to begin looking for the short? Anything electrical is in the complete unknown realm for me.

Time to cruise your airfield & make friends with some homebuilder folks (or mechanics) to help you with this maintenance issue.

Panel lights should be a simple circuit, but this could be wired in a multitude of different ways, best thing is to have someone look at it.
Maybe first thing to determine is if this 5 amp circuit is chained to something else, like Nav lights (5 amp breaker is pretty hefty for just panel lights!)

CB trips

Start with turning all switches in the off position.
Reset the CB and turn master (BAT) on.
If the CB trips, you have a short to the ground in the circuit.
Start removing the GND connector from each lamp and reset CB until it no longer trips. Then you know which lamp that caused the problem.
If the CB does not trip when you turn the master on, start turning on one switch at a time until CB trips.
Then you know which lamp that caused the problem.:)

Good luck.

Start with turning all switches in the off position.
Reset the CB and turn master (BAT) on.
If the CB trips, you have a short to the ground in the circuit.
Start removing the GND connector from each lamp and reset CB until it no longer trips. Then you know which lamp that caused the problem.
If the CB does not trip when you turn the master on, start turning on one switch at a time until CB trips.
Then you know which lamp that caused the problem.:)

Good luck.

That should give me a good place to start, thank you!

Back