What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder counterbalance skin fit

ScottK

I'm working on the rudder, dry fitting the counterbalance skin (R-913) on the two ribs and spar, and it just doesn't want to fit. I've checked the ribs for straight and square and I've gotten most of it lined up - by force on some holes - but with everything else in place, two holes across the front, one on each rib, are still like 1/3 of a hole out of line. As if the ribs need to be narrower than they are. Enough that if I drilled it I'm not sure it'd be OK to hold rivets. But the skin is tight to both sides of the ribs and snug across the front. I know Vans never makes errors on pre-punched parts, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Curious

I dont remember having holes mis aligned, but I do remember I played around with skin stackup and had to flip a rib around to make things go.

Maybe some else can remember more details, or if you post a pick, it will be easier to figure out what is weird.

i had to flute the ends of the ribs to sit flat against the end of the skin, they were quite curved.

i had to flute the ends of the ribs to sit flat against the end of the skin, they were quite curved.

Ah, that's something I noticed too. I actually put a little bit of a curve into the skin to try to allow for the rib flanges - I guess that's the wrong answer! Happily, a shallow enough curve that I can take it back out. Fluting the forward flanges would solve it though. I just didn't want to make those permanent fluting bends without good reason. I'll give it a shot.

Back