What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Create Your POH

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Creating a good POH is not difficult. You can save a lot of time by taking advantage of Van's and Lycoming published materials that can be easily copied and contain a wealth of information readily adapted for inclusion in your POH. Over the years, many RV builders have posted excellent detailed examples of their own version of a POH and I shamelessly adapted several ideas from those creative builders to develop a POH that best serves my particular needs. You can make the POH as comprehensive or as spare as you like. I laminated each page of the POH for maximum durability and it includes basic information such as checklist, emergency procedures and performance numbers. That is to be expected. My POH also includes detailed engine specifics such as performance charts, graphs and operating parameters as published by Lycoming. I also took the time to include a detailed equipment list that documents the part and serial number of the engine and propeller, every instrument, every piece of avionics and every engine accessory found in my RV-8. The basic tools I used to create this POH include a word processer and printer, Windows paint program, a digital camera, a laminator and finally, a small ringed binder to store the information that is easily stowable without taking up too much space. The possibilities are virtually limitless. So go ahead. Get creative. The result is virtually guaranteed to impress your DAR!

29oslm8.jpg

Last edited:
I've been keeping a 3 ring binder with tabs for my aircraft systems.
As I build, I update each section.
I start with a schematic or parts list or vendor data (or any combination) to start filling in each section.
1) Engine
2) Propeller
3) Electrical system
Like that. Then I keep adding sections, or consolidating them as required.
As Rick says, I shamelessly adopt what ever good idea is offered by some one who has gone before.
Anyway, that's really my Aircraft Manual. I'm getting ready to start the more focused POH, which for me will be a separate document that stays in the plane. The Aircraft Manual will probably end up too big and heavy for the plane, unless it's carried in a thumb drive for access on any local computer.

Well Done!!!!

Rick, great effort! Did you also include performance charts, like takeoff distance, climb performance, cruise, etc etc? How about emergency procedures?

And I'm curious about one thing - albeit off topic for this thread a little - how did you determine to use 1850 lb as the max weight for the airplane?

Bill,

As I mentioned, I adapted some information such as emergency procedures from various sources. That included referencing various aircraft checklists, ideas gleaned from others RV'ers, even my old C-150 manual. For instance, in case of a fire many of the things we must do are common to most any aircraft such as CLOSE VENTS, IDLE-CUTOFF, MASTER OFF etc. When it was possible to be more specific, I included items in the procedures such as when to use the fire extinguisher.

Because this particular airplane is as yet untested, for purposes of creating the POH, I simply entered most of the projected performance data as published by Van's. Any adjustment to actual numbers in the POH can and will be easily changed by amending the word document of each page of the POH stored in the computer. I could however, be very specific when I documented the known empty weight. From that known empty weight I determined useful load. The 1850 pound GW was determined in part by proving my aircraft could remain within CG at that weight and those numbers are included in the W&B section of the POH.

Rick, thanks for the reply. That kind of documentation would certainly impress any DAR. When the time comes to write my POH, I'll be in touch.

BTW, for performance numbers in the POH: some day I intend to help the forum out by putting up standardization spreadsheets, at least for the 8 and probably the 7. The idea of standardizing performance data is that the POH should be written around "standard day" data. The problem with taking actual flight test data is that its never done under standard day conditions. So, the flight test data is "standardized" for inclusion in the POH. I standardized data for the USAF out at Edwards AFB right after I left school - its not hard once the performance modeling is done for the airplane in hand.

Any more recent updates/suggestions on building a POH for an RV-8? Most of the links on the previous posts are no longer functional.

Thanks.

Michael Lewis

RV8 POH

I created my RV8 POH last fall (O-360) and figured out how to print it out in MS word booklet format. Not perfect but pretty good by my standards and I'll share either as a PDF or MS Word document. Got a nice compliment from my DAR on it also (Vic Syracuse). Send your email via PM if interested. I got some help from the examples here in the forum, but still needed to do a lot of my own work.

Back