What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pan heater

BCP Boys

Well Known Member
Looking to buy an oil pan heater and wanted to get some thoughts from you fine folks. I seen the ones that Spruce sells and other Aviation shops but they all look like a more expensive version of this doing the same thing. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this from a auto part store or racing shop? I don't generally shop at the aviation isle in my autoparts store for this I'm not sure why I would pay 2x to 3x the price as the ones listed in aviation supply companies.

I installed the Reiff oil pan heaters recently and here this is why I went with them instead of the much less expensive ones I found.
  • While researching, I literally had bad dreams about the cheap ones catching fire. Rational concern? Don't know but if helps me sleep better...
  • Included thermostat with a 190 degree cutoff
  • I think the aluminum construction will last much longer
Probably not needed in central Texas but it sure is nice to start a warmed engine. Also, planning winter trips to Kansas.

I got a wolverine, google them up. Good stuff!

I have 150 watts total. My Superior cold air pan was not large enough to fit more, but it is adequate.

:cool: CJ

Don't pay the premium for "racing" parts either... I got a 300W stick on pad for 29 bucks and it worked great for several winters. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Google will show hundreds of different sizes and power available very inexpensively.

Looking to buy an oil pan heater and wanted to get some thoughts from you fine folks. I seen the ones that Spruce sells and other Aviation shops but they all look like a more expensive version of this doing the same thing. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this from a auto part store or racing shop? I don't generally shop at the aviation isle in my autoparts store for this I'm not sure why I would pay 2x to 3x the price as the ones listed in aviation supply companies.

Because if it is not labelled as Aviation, how can it be any good?:rolleyes:

I used a 250 watt heater very similar to the one you linked. It was well under $50 from an eBay seller (I believe it was a Kat or Wolverine brand). It works very well and couldn't imagine buying the same thing for $300, even if it were a better quality.

Larry

Last edited:
photo

A friend gave me this one designed for an O-360, or so I was told. Note that it has cutouts for the sump drain and even the embossed part number. I stuck it on with J-B Weld (Kwik). It works really well so far.

4wcG7I.jpg

about 6 yrs ago i stuck 2 katz heaters on my jab block. they have worked perfect ever since. a few years before i put them on the jab i stuck one on the oilpan of my toyota. and only spot to stick it was on a curved area. the car heater is also still working and has not come loose even slightly and a lot of snow , slush etc. gets flung on it in the past 8 yrs.

Same Kat heater as Merlin

Has been perfect for 5 winters 150watts seems to be enough. Never use it unattended though except maybe for a couple minutes. Plane is in a well insulated hangar after an hour of heating at 30 deg though I get instant oil pressure and temp off the peg. Just checked it last weekend and after about a minute it's very hot.

Oil Pan heater

Amir,

I recently had my engine overhauled and removed the Wolverine oil pan heater that was on it. I installed a new one and you can have the old one for postage cost. You will need to find compatible adhesive to attach it to the oil pan. I'm sure if you contact Wolverine they can send you a tube of adhesive. PM me with your address and we will coordinate details for shipping.

Oly

Amir,

I recently had my engine overhauled and removed the Wolverine oil pan heater that was on it. I installed a new one and you can have the old one for postage cost. You will need to find compatible adhesive to attach it to the oil pan. I'm sure if you contact Wolverine they can send you a tube of adhesive. PM me with your address and we will coordinate details for shipping.

Oly

Call them and talk them up.

They are very accomodating!

;) CJ

Wow thank you for all the feedback and especially thank you Oly for the offer. I just bought a Switchbox from a fellow VAF member and looking forward to hooking it all up and getting my plane heated while I drive 40 minutes to the hanger early Saturday mornings... So exiting :D

Just as a data point, I would plug my 300w heater in the night before flying and throw a blanket over the cowl and seal the inlets. After 12 hours or so, it was nice and warm, but I never once worried that it was going to get "too hot". The engine is 500 pounds of metal (with cooling fins, no less)...

Reiff

I installed the Reiff oil pan heaters recently and here this is why I went with them instead of the much less expensive ones I found.
  • While researching, I literally had bad dreams about the cheap ones catching fire. Rational concern? Don't know but if helps me sleep better...
  • Included thermostat with a 190 degree cutoff
  • I think the aluminum construction will last much longer
Probably not needed in central Texas but it sure is nice to start a warmed engine. Also, planning winter trips to Kansas.

I 2nd the Reiff. I have been using mine for years with no issues. On the Reiff system you can also get the cylinder band heaters also, which I highly recommend. Lots of money invested behind that big fan. I want my engine to warm and happy.

Back