What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Q About The Instrument Panel

GeneralT001

Does it come as one piece of metal or 3? Is it 3/16"? I'm wondering if I should just order a piece to start work on well before anything else as it seems a lot of decisions and planning need to go into it. ??

Does it come as one piece of metal or 3? Is it 3/16"? I'm wondering if I should just order a piece to start work on well before anything else as it seems a lot of decisions and planning need to go into it. ??

I had Steinair build my panel and they provided a one-piece panel and I am happy with it. A couple of friends had a 3-piece panel in their 14, which seemed to work well for them. Chose whichever you prefer.

I had Steinair build my panel and they provided a one-piece panel and I am happy with it. A couple of friends had a 3-piece panel in their 14, which seemed to work well for them. Chose whichever you prefer.

I get the feeling its going to be SteinAir in the end.

A follow on question:

Is all the wiring required from the engine power (alternator/generator) to the busses supplied by SteinAir? Is it essentially "Plug and Play". What does the RV14 kit give you in this regard?

The wiring harness Van’s provides in the RV-14 kit is made by Stein and includes connections for engine components and most of the avionics you will install (magnetometer, OAT, trim, autopilot, and the panel components). Some people choose not to use the available wiring harness and run their own wires. It might save some money, if you are comfortable wiring everything yourself. I was happy to use what was already designed and available. :rolleyes:

The wiring harness Van’s provides in the RV-14 kit is made by Stein and includes connections for engine components and most of the avionics you will install (magnetometer, OAT, trim, autopilot, and the panel components). Some people choose not to use the available wiring harness and run their own wires. It might save some money, if you are comfortable wiring everything yourself. I was happy to use what was already designed and available. :rolleyes:

Thats really good to know....I'll stick with Stein as well :)

Back