What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke oil and EGT probes.

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Has anyone with a smoke system experience any issues with their Dynon EGT probes?

Just wondering if their is the potential for pre mature failure of the prob when oil gets introduced into the exhaust. My injectors are about an inch lower on the exhaust than the EGT probes and I’ve replaced two in the last 2 months.

Thanks

Don

Has anyone with a smoke system experience any issues with their Dynon EGT probes?

Just wondering if their is the potential for pre mature failure of the prob when oil gets introduced into the exhaust. My injectors are about an inch lower on the exhaust than the EGT probes and I’ve replaced two in the last 2 months.

Thanks

Don

With only two cylinders per manifold, I would expect the exhaust to modulate back and forth a bit in the tubes. I suggest moving the oil injectors a few more inches away. Did you find the EGT probes to be black in color or whitish/greyish? The former points to oil fouling, likely from the smoke oil working up stream. At 1400*, any oil will quickly oxidize and coat things with carbon deposits.

Larry

Mine oil injector is about 1” down stream from the egt property and never had an issue

Back