What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Nuts and Bolts?

Prepperpilot

Well Known Member
Greetings. New RV8 owner here. Want to get some extra bolts and such for wheel pants, cowling, etc etc. Anyone know a kit available with assorted hardware?
Thanks
Chris

Cheapest place for that would be a local screw store. Here in East Texas we have a store called "ET Fasteners" and it's cheaper to buy 100 screws here than to buy 10 at Lowe's for example.

At the last annual before I sold my RV8 I bought all stainless steel screws from spinner to tail including all floor panels, I mean every single screw, and I don't think I spent $15 for everything !

I get my fasteners from Aircraft Spruce. They get cheaper with volume, so keep changing the QTY until the price drops. There are MS screws in stainless too, if that is what you want. Ask for 1st class mail and the prices overall get much better. Good stock, fast shipping and good prices (relatively speaking).

I do use hardware stainless for some things where they are not structural.

Stainless: Although I really like them the steel screws last longer with repeated use.

Tip: Get a good screwdriver bits not a screwdriver to keep the phillips from stripping as easily. Doing my building, screw slipping was a problem, until I noticed the bits were not slipping. Get good quality!!

Greetings. New RV8 owner here. Want to get some extra bolts and such for wheel pants, cowling, etc etc. Anyone know a kit available with assorted hardware?
Thanks
Chris

Chris - get way more than you think you need and others as well. Any part of the plane interior and exterior that has a washer, screw, bolt and nut get 50 of each to start. I used the builder book (you can order the digital version on Vans) to see the part numbers, etc. Also helps getting familiar with the plane.

You have kits like this but they are lacking with the other ones you'll also need - https://www.knots2u.net/vans-rv-series-stainless-steel-hardware-kit/

Not being a builder I am at a disadvantage. I have seen the parts stash of an RV Buddy.
I dont want to keep stealing from him.
Most of the stuff I need at the moment is extra for wheel pants and cowling and inspection plates. Just in case.
Previous owner kinda used a hodgepodge of different lengths.
Guess I should just call Van's. But I think I am beginning to annoy them.
Thanks for all the guidance friends. Much appreciated.

Not being a builder I am at a disadvantage. I have seen the parts stash of an RV Buddy.
Most of the stuff I need at the moment is extra for wheel pants and cowling and inspection plates. Just in case.

Assuming the builder went to plan they would have either K1000-6 or K1000-8 nutplates using #6 (6-32) or #8 (8-32) screws (1/2" thread length). Ask Vans for the flat head screws to fit these nutplates. The washers you can get 50 of each size here - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/nas549washers2.php (or ask Vans for their version)

As a builder, I ordered a bunch of #8 screws (flush MS24693 and panhead MS35206) from Aircraft Spruce. These small screws are used in almost 99% in our Vans aircraft. #6 screws ((flush MS24693) are used in the access panels. Have plenty of them handy because you will invariably drop them when doing maintenance or they just come loose. I placed an order for 100s of each so I never have to worry about losing them, I just get a new one from the toolbox. Each of them costs less than the plastic bag they charge from the supermarket.

If you are an owner, purchase a plan from Vans and you can check out the screw callouts from the plan. Aircraft Spruce also has a location in the Mid West so shipping is probably quicker than ordering from Vans.

Last edited:
Thank you friends. This is perhaps the best forum I have ever joined. Thousand of hours of advice from builders is uber appreciated.

Don’t get into the habit of hardware store fasteners. AN hardware despite the cost. That should promote a healthy conversation......

Don’t get into the habit of hardware store fasteners. AN hardware despite the cost. That should promote a healthy conversation......

The thing is the AN hardware stuff isn't really expensive either, especially for the small screws and nuts. The stainless stuff from McMaster costs even more than the AN grade. You will need a bunch of them anyway so buy them in bulk and save a few dollars too.

We're really not talking about very much money here. Hardware, no matter the type is fairly inexpensive. I maintain a good stock of AN hardware, and often fix non-airplane things with it. Just not worth the hassle of maintaining a stock of AN and hardware store fasteners. By the time I hop in my car and drive to the hardware store, I've burned the value of a whole bag of bolts in gas, plus the time wasted.

I’d like to add what impression is made when an aircraft sports Non AN hardware. My first thought is where else did the builder cut corners.

Vans sells a usb drive with the plans on it for each model of aircraft. You can figure out what screws you need based on what is shown on those plans. Once you get a list together of what you want to order, know that there are structural screws/bolts and non structural. It is not advisable to put non structural hardware where structural is required. Going to a local supply house opens the door to ALL grades of hardware and as you do not know what you are looking for you can get some inadequate stuff. I would advise that the best place to buy aviation hardware is an aviation supplier as this cuts out most of the grades of hardware you don't want.

I buy a lot from Aircraft Spruce. If you buy 100 of any screw from Spruce they give you a discount. For that matter when you buy wire if you buy 100 feet they give you a discount too.

Additionally Spruce will supply the hardware in plastic bags with the part number labeled on the bag. When a bag goes empty or running low just go on their website and put some in your cart until you are ready for an order. The cart will keep it there for you. Lastly I keep all the hardware in fishing lure boxes in their individual bags. If the box lid is loose, and it falls of the bench, the bags keep the hardware from mixing. When you need a piece of hardware they are easily accessible. NO digging through a junk drawer or box of stuff. Its all labeled and in order. As I constantly move between the hangar and the house, its easy to bring the hardware this way and I find that with this supply I often use it for household repairs too.

AM-JKLXsnwXRGhH9662QX42fm-8QMNux00cIYhShP_PLGBbUZYrXqGNCBdSs0UbmOHC3ztmDe8ap6xj1ZLau6kOx49MZdLoq_VzRtYmGW8qO_1mfI0YKSuI3436rP4mtMCD1pa7brVfYiq-yYmgicWOfoisclg=w850-h934

AM-JKLVRnJ-12kit8INbpxSmn9eCHJHUQs-jgBR9tJvdow6bfaHJk6lmLUli_2MM53oi2BG3eR_nuKl3IYSnJX3d98MyCuWyNSSX5_vyOKFqZCPmt5TUJIXtyt8POy4vc6QEVMovp54pF3Nrf5y6Cq1a2Jm8hQ=w850-h934

Ok. My wife is asking me about all this stuff from aircraft spruce showing up at doorstep.
Thanks for the guidance guys. Thanks for being patient with the new guy!

Ok. My wife is asking me about all this stuff from aircraft spruce showing up at doorstep.

That will never end, even after your plane is finished. My wife doesn’t ask anymore. She just says “your packages are on the desk”. Thanks dear 😂

Back