What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking Brake on RV-14a

USN bullet

Patron
Has anyone installed a parking brake in their 14A? I see a parking brake kit for sale at Van's Store, but somewhat confusing instructions about ordering another valve PV-2? The operating cable makes sense but ????
Cheers
John:)

We've use both the Matco and the Beringer valves. Most of our newer kits are set up for the Beringer.
Tom

Parking brake

I used the parking brake from Beringer works great. Tom or Steve can sell you what is needed.

Beringer on mine. I made a custom bracket but now the one they sell is very good. I ran the cable to the left cabin heat knob location and put the pilot cabin heat to the left of the throttle with a wider throttle bracket that Stein can supply. It lets me release the brake from outside the plane easily.

I added the Matco PB valve after a hard time tying down on a windy day. Fairly simple install with the 2 additional hoses supplied by Flightlines. Flightlines also has some examples and pics of a RV14 install

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

Steve designed this PB valve cable bracket thats used with our Beringer valve install, and the Beringer mounting bracket on the left pedal bar mount. Works well. This particular pic is from a 14TD. WE had initially located the valve ( on the 14A at least) at the center pedal bar mount to make it more universal with the RV10. Beringer wanted it on the left bar mount, aso we changed a few things to put it there. The Matco valve can also be mounted there---with a builder fabricated bracket--.

Tom

Attachments

• Beringer PB valve cable bracket.png
    Beringer PB valve cable bracket.png
    550.8 KB · Views: 466
Beringer on mine. I made a custom bracket but now the one they sell is very good. I ran the cable to the left cabin heat knob location and put the pilot cabin heat to the left of the throttle with a wider throttle bracket that Stein can supply. It lets me release the brake from outside the plane easily.

Do you have any pictures of your install from the panel side and the back of the panel? I have installed the PB valve but have not ran the cable yet. I have purchased the mounting bracket from Aircraft Specialty.

Thanks

Eric

Last edited:
Steve designed this PB valve cable bracket thats used with our Beringer valve install, and the Beringer mounting bracket on the left pedal bar mount. Works well. This particular pic is from a 14TD. WE had initially located the valve ( on the 14A at least) at the center pedal bar mount to make it more universal with the RV10. Beringer wanted it on the left bar mount, aso we changed a few things to put it there. The Matco valve can also be mounted there---with a builder fabricated bracket--.

Tom

To expand on this. I can't take credit for the bracket.....we worked with Mike, one of our RV14 beta testers who came up with the bracket dimensions. We now machine them and incorporate them into our Beringer kits with the PB valve.

Our standard RV14/14A hose kit setup for a PB valve currently uses the MATCO valve and it is mounted in the center of the aircraft. However, we also have an installation package that is not yet uploaded to the website. This package takes a Beringer valve and installs it on the pilot side as shown in the picture. In addition, we include the mounts, cables, etc for this setup. This will probably become our standard PB install setup eventually for the 14/14A due to ease of installation. (This setup will still utilize all the standard VANS brake/wheel components. The difference is that the Beringer valve will be a more inclusive installation than the matco PB valve install.)

We are working on a major website update coming in Jan/Feb time frame which will greatly simplify some of these kits and also make them more inclusive/easier to install.

Happy building,
Steve

Back