What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank leak? 🤯

I used Stainless Steel T-Bolt Hose Clamps available at auto part store...
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.35.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 3.35.22 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 206
Could be overflow spillage during refueling, worn or damaged rubber connector hose, or loose hose clamps. My first step would be to clean up the leak area, snug up the hose clamps a bit, and then monitor area for any new leakage.

Remedy; Wipe off, keep flying. (its not that much) :eek:

wrong answer, if he is smelling fuel in the cockpit the solution is to find the source and fix it. never fly with a know fuel leak, especially in the cockpit.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I'd also remove the rubber collar and inspect the inner surface. On one of my annuals, I found the rubber has partially deteriorated where in contact with fuel. Easy, cheap to replace with newer more flexible one. (and check the tightness of the clamps)

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. I tried tightening the clamps but still smelled a bit a fuel in the cockpit.

So I ordered two new clamps and a new rubber sleeve from Van's. I also spoke with Lockwood and they are filled up until Christmas.

Thus, I'll have a local A&P doing the work of replacing the sleeve and clamps. Lockwood told me that no lube is needed for the mating parts, however some people here suggested to use EZ turn.

What are your thoughts on using EZ turn vs. not using it?

Last edited:
Isn't EZ Turn a lubricant? I used it on the rubber sleeve and it fixed the gasoline smell.
Or did you intend to type "no", not "now"?

Hello fellow RV-flier:

We went ahead and changed the rubber sleeve as well as the two hose clamps. The job was easy and quickly done.

Looking at the rubber sleeve, it appears as if at least one clamp had been loose and some fuel escaped there.

Then we opened the back of the baggage compartment and checked the fuel vent system. We found the fuel vent hose being disconnected from the rivet on the bottom.

This could explain the fuel smell in the cockpit.

We cut the fuel vent hose on the bottom a bit and put it back onto the rivet.

I thought I share these results and maybe it'll help somebody else out there as well. Thanks a lot for all your input!

Felix

Attachments

• IMG_8565.png
    IMG_8565.png
    496 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_8536.jpg
    IMG_8536.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8563.jpg
    IMG_8563.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 183
Back