What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin pilot update?

Gt-401

The last couple of days I have been seeing stories about the great new update just out for Garmin Pilot, but when I look for the update I find nothing. Am I missing something? Or have they suspended the update for some reason?

I had to go to the App Store to get the update. I don?t why the update wasn?t automatic like all of the previous updates.

I was able to get the update via the app store. However, I had missed updating to iOS 13 a while back, and had to do that before the Pilot app would update.

Found it!!

Wow. That was sneaky. I had to search for the app in the App Store. I was thinking it would show in the update section of the App Store like every other app.. thanks for the info. I recently switched from ForeFlight and was missing the ability to load procedures on the iPad. The EIS page won me over. Now I can use the iPad to display engine gauges and have I. Flight trend monitoring,, love that.

Garmin Pilot Update

The last couple of days I have been seeing stories about the great new update just out for Garmin Pilot, but when I look for the update I find nothing. Am I missing something? Or have they suspended the update for some reason?

Good Morning,

The Garmin Pilot 10.0.1 update requires iOS 13.0+. If you have not updated the iPad or iPhone firmware, go ahead and get that updated and you should be able to run the new Garmin Pilot version.

Thanks,

Justin

Knocked it out of the Park Garmin!

Outstanding update! Left FF a couple years ago, and have been waiting for this update and ability to load a PROC in GP. Not only can you load one, but the situational awareness and altitude information in the Flight Plan leaves FF in the dust! You guys really did well with this one!

Last edited:
Good Morning,

The Garmin Pilot 10.0.1 update requires iOS 13.0+. If you have not updated the iPad or iPhone firmware, go ahead and get that updated and you should be able to run the new Garmin Pilot version.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi G3xpert, Is this update they're all talking about the same as 7.3.2 on Androids? Or 7.4.1?

Last edited:
This is great but I am a bit confused now.

When I select a destination airport and then load any given approach, (I used KPVF to KMHR) the graphical display on the map shows the route to the airport as my first leg and then return to my IAF (COLOM), even if the IAF is on the path and in between my route.
In reality, I would be flying to the IAF directly and then turn inbound not to the top of the airport and then back to the IAF.

Can some one shed some light on this for me please?

This is great but I am a bit confused now.

When I select a destination airport and then load any given approach, (I used KPVF to KMHR) the graphical display on the map shows the route to the airport as my first leg and then return to my IAF (COLOM), even if the IAF is on the path and in between my route.
In reality, I would be flying to the IAF directly and then turn inbound not to the top of the airport and then back to the IAF.

Can some one shed some light on this for me please?

You are in planning mode...you will most likely be flying direct to the destination airport, at some point you will be cleared fro the approach and when you activate the approach you will get a direct to the IAF that you have loaded from your current position enroute. Also while flying you will be in nav mode vs. planning mode and a few other things change in the menu options. I was a little confused arm chair flying it too, but once I took it up and ran a couple of approaches with it, it all fell into place. In Nav mode it works just like your panel mounted Garmin box....Flight plan, select approach, load approach, activate approach or vectors to final....simple.

Last edited:
You are in planning mode...you will most likely be flying direct to the destination airport, at some point you will be cleared fro the approach and when you activate the approach you will get a direct to the IAF that you have loaded from your current position enroute. Also while flying you will be in nav mode vs. planning mode and a few other things change in the menu options. I was a little confused arm chair flying it too, but once I took it up and ran a couple of approaches with it, it all fell into place. In Nav mode it works just like your panel mounted Garmin box....Flight plan, select approach, load approach, activate approach or vectors to final....simple.

That is great to know and I was wondering about that. I suppose the buttons for the Nav mode or activating the approach will appear while the application realizes that is moving?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but the simple ETE planning seems to be missing. It was accurate enough to get a quick idea what your flight time would be.

Mine just keeps telling me I need to update my performance tables on Fltplan.com, which I've done, but never gives me any ETE data.

Previously, I would just put in my route and then click "Details" and get the ETE.

Edit: Ahh.. you actually have to submit it to Fltplan.com before you get the details now ..

Last edited:
Looks like some of these functions are not available on the IPHONE compared to IPAD. I installed the latest version but I don't see some of the buttons (NAV mode) or when I am in the Flight planning tab, to see the map.

Can anyone explain the difference between the Flight Plan function and Trip Planning? It seems that they do mostly the same thing...I've watched all of the Garmin videos and they never answer the question of when you use one and when you use the other.

Also, I have an Alerts function on my iphone version but nothing on my ipad version. What's up with that?

Back