What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch O/S upgrade from 8.91….to Current

star57

Greetings all, I have a 3 GDU setup and still have the 8.91 operating system, my question is pertaining to upgrade to current version which I believe is 9.14.
Can I just upgrade to the current version….
I also have the other items Garmin GNT, G5, GMC507 etc .
Thank you in advance.

Software Update

Thank you, I hope it will recognize all my existing Garmin and others hardware
F

Yes this will not be a problem. You can actually update from any version on this system, there are no intermediate steps required like you may find on some of our older equipment.

Thanks,

Justin

Yes this will not be a problem. You can actually update from any version on this system, there are no intermediate steps required like you may find on some of our older equipment.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you for clearing it up for me, I'm one the people that tried updating the G900X from vers. -8 to -18 and the Exp. Expert assistance wasn't aware that there was an intermediate process at around ver. 13 .
Just didn't want to make the same mistake.
Any suggestions on how and when to upgrade the OS on the GTN 650/ and GNC 355, do I loose the older databases?

Thanks,

Justin
All went well on the upgrade to the current version of software, there were a couple minutes with the GDL 52R taking a bit of time to upgrade but seems good .

Last edited:
Most of the system's LRUs download their software from the PFD over Canbus when you upgrade them, which is a pretty rapid process.

The GDL 50R, 51R, 52R aren't connected to Canbus, they're on an RS232 port, which is relatively low bandwidth.

If you follow along from the LRU page in Configuration mode, you'll see that the GDL doesn't even start until all the other LRUs are finished, and it takes about half an hour to clock up from 0% done to 100% done.

- mark

Back