What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12iS wing spars outset holes

Bogdan

RV12iS wing spars offset holes

Hi everyone, it's a question with is stuck to my mind for a long time. I built my RV12iS wings while ago, I'm in the process of finishing kit but: when I received my wings kit, both spars had some problems. First, missaligned rivet holes in the wing spar and spar stub - offset holes, then a rib angle riveted upside down by the factory. The solution by Vans was to: Misaligned .129 rivet holes in spar and spar stub (both left and right spars);
Drill through the thicker stub spar into the thinner spar channel from the front side of the spar stub where possible.
Since the mismatch appears to vary in extent here are several options:
For hole diameter .129 - .136; use LP4-3
For hole diameter .159 - .164; drill or ream #21 or #20 (.159-.161), for CR3213-5-4 UNIVERSAL HEAD rivet. (5/32 nominal diameter)
For hole diameter .176 - .180; drill or ream #16 for CR3243-5-4 UNIVERSAL HEAD / OVERSIZE DIAMETER rivet. (1/64” over the 5/32 nominal diameter)
Then to drill out that angle, fill the existing holes and drill new ones and rivet a new angle back.

Question is, how safe should I fell now with my wings if the initial fabrication process was wrong somehow. They said is not a structural concern but in my head is always a concern. Could those holes drilled again cause any cracks or structural concerns? Please share your experience, much appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
I would only go with the engineering

I would only go with the engineering Department’s advice from Vans Aircraft, no one else. Opinions won’t run the math.

Back