What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Canopy Replacement

ljsflash

I’m getting ready to replace my cracked canopy on my RV8. I wasn’t the builder but my guess is it was riveted on.
I’ve searched through all the post and YouTubes I could find but have a lot of questions.
Is it necessary to drill out all of the rivets on the canopy frame to replace the new one? Totally remove the canopy skirt?
I plan on using Sikaflex to secure the new canopy.
Van’s price was $1700 plus $1000 to crate and ship to Maryland. I purchased one that already had the big cut done and didn’t include the front portion from Airplane Plastics.
Any help or tips appreciated!

Make sure you apply the sikaflex primer on before the sikaflex. But you probably know about it already

Just a caution about your plan. Riveting the canopy makes it sit directly on the canopy frame, but Sikaflex requires a 3/16" gap between the canopy and the frame which makes it sit a bit proud in comparison. This might cause issues when you try to fit the original canopy skirt back onto the now larger canopy. You may want to check the fit before you commit to the attachment method.

Just a caution about your plan. Riveting the canopy makes it sit directly on the canopy frame, but Sikaflex requires a 3/16" gap between the canopy and the frame which makes it sit a bit proud in comparison. This might cause issues when you try to fit the original canopy skirt back onto the now larger canopy. You may want to check the fit before you commit to the attachment method.

Thanks Rob. Good to know. Mine has a 1/8th band of fiberglass over the canopy frame bow. I should be okay but may have to message the windscreen side. I’ll check fitment with a 1/8th spacer prior.
Today I removed the canopy and skirt and did notice that both cracks started at 2 rivet points. It doesn’t appear that the canopy was drilled larger than the rivets themselves. Larger holes may have alleviated the cracks.?
I’d like to post a pic but can’t figure out here.

Back