What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV15 & Rotax 916?

You know the speed at 12k would be very interesting with this combo. For many this altitude is not useful. For me it’s normal cruise altitude out here

You know the speed at 12k would be very interesting with this combo. For many this altitude is not useful. For me it’s normal cruise altitude out here

The same thing over here in Santa Fe/Los Alamos. Just doing the taxi thing down for takeoff I'm at an altitude that I hardly ever saw back in the mid-west.

Bob

Looking at things closely, what does the 916 really get you? A maximum of 5 minutes with 20 extra HP then it is back to normal 915 power. What is that, $15,000 to $20,000 for an occasional takeoff that needs extra power? How many times a year do you need that extra power for a takeoff that the 915 would not provide the same safety margin? Having flown behind a 915 it rarely made 5 minutes without warning lights going off that requiring the power be pulled back.

I just don’t see the point as it is just for takeoff. 20 extra HP in cruise and yes it is a big deal.

$15,000 buys a lot of fuel, or an upgraded panel.

I bet the vast majority of the 916 buyers are just buying a cool factor.

Looking at things closely, what does the 916 really get you? A maximum of 5 minutes with 20 extra HP then it is back to normal 915 power. What is that, $15,000 to $20,000 for an occasional takeoff that needs extra power? How many times a year do you need that extra power for a takeoff that the 915 would not provide the same safety margin? Having flown behind a 915 it rarely made 5 minutes without warning lights going off that requiring the power be pulled back.

I just don’t see the point as it is just for takeoff. 20 extra HP in cruise and yes it is a big deal.

I think they increased TBO. That would be worth something as well.

Everything I’ve read puts the price difference around $8. Granted, that’s still significant. But in addition, it does buy you a 2000 TBO and a five year warranty. I spoke to one of the US Rotax reps today and they anticipate the extended warranty will be applied to the 915 in the very near future along with a price adjustment. So, I’m not sure the difference in price is a great as you might think. My field elevation is 6500’. I’d be happy with a little more hp, even for a few minutes.

At what cost?

Everything I’ve read puts the price difference around $8. Granted, that’s still significant. But in addition, it does buy you a 2000 TBO and a five year warranty. I spoke to one of the US Rotax reps today and they anticipate the extended warranty will be applied to the 915 in the very near future along with a price adjustment. So, I’m not sure the difference in price is a great as you might think. My field elevation is 6500’. I’d be happy with a little more hp, even for a few minutes.

Thanks for mentioning the B word (budget) seemingly lost on this site in recent years. I despite being a Jurassic RV dude appreciate the 915/916 and the technology therein. However comma I have to ask: at what cost?
I built two RVs and rebuilt a Rocket and none had a new engine or avionics. A recent troll of Barnstormers yielded several low time 0-320s and 0-360s under $15K and even an io390 for $24K. Given the RV15 kit will most likely be North of $50K, you’re talking $150K for a basic completed airplane with the aforementioned Rotax offerings and that’s unpainted with basic interior. You can buy a Flying Maule M5 or M7 for less than those numbers and having owned two M series they are phenomenal aircraft. I haven’t even mentioned the Bearhawk which I believe is the best high wing kit “bush” plane available, but I digress.

So I ask the question again, is the 915/916 worth three times the price of a used Lycoming?

Maybe…
Maybe not:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
I was looking into the possibility of putting the 916 into the 9A I am building but the $50000 price tag plus no firewall forward support currently killed it. especially when an A&P friend of mine offered me an overhauled O-360 for a bit over $20K. Even if I add the Fly EFII system32 to it that would still be more than $22K less than the rotax. By my calculations the extra fuel burn of the O-360 would take more than 2000 hours of flight time to burn down. That and $50K for engine $35K for kits $12-18K for prop $20-30K for electronics and IFR panel $10K for paint at that I would be up to at least $127K for a 9A and that doesn't include lighting or interior. As a 36 year old engineer I thought I made good money but that would be really pushing it.

You really don't need a ton of horsepower in cruise. There's a reason most people are running their 180hp engines at 100hp in cruise. Extra power is entirely for takeoff and climb. 20 extra hp in cruise is actually not a big deal at all. It would be very minimal gain in speed, as speed is about drag, not horsepower.

You really don't need a ton of horsepower in cruise. There's a reason most people are running their 180hp engines at 100hp in cruise. Extra power is entirely for takeoff and climb. 20 extra hp in cruise is actually not a big deal at all. It would be very minimal gain in speed, as speed is about drag, not horsepower.

…and yet people argue over the two or theee knots difference between a two blade and three blade prop…

Just saying…

…and yet people argue over the two or theee knots difference between a two blade and three blade prop…

Just saying…

At least with prop efficiency the speed is free with the better prop. Adding 20hp to cruise nets you almost nothing in speed but a lot more fuel turned to noise.

Gree

At least with prop efficiency the speed is free with the better prop. Adding 20hp to cruise nets you almost nothing in speed but a lot more fuel turned to noise.

Sorry, nothing is free…you may gain a tiny amount in cruise but will lose something in time to climb.

At best, our RVs are always a compromise, a design attempting to be good in all categories and exceptional in none. I am really happy with my -10, and like the extra 30+ hp that I have available.:D

Back