What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heading Miscompare on Garmin G5

Moosetrax

I am having an issue with the HSI G5 after installing dual G5s, a GAD29, GAD13, and GMU11 with my existing GNS430 non-WAAS. While flying along I am getting the yellow heading on the HSI and losing wind data. It recovers itself, but does it multiple times per flight. I am wondering if it is a similar issue where recalibrating the pitch and roll as well as calibrating the magnetometer again might fix the issue similar to an issue on a G3X thread. The wiring was professionally done and that particular avionics shop said “it’s a common issue” they see with dual G5 installs. After a quick internet search it seems Beechcraft, Piper, and Cessna aircraft have all had similar issues.

The other question I have is, how can the heading be different on the upper and lower displays if it is being supplied from the same magnetometer via the CANBUS?

Attachments

• 16BD9C55-4240-4239-A247-F699CE20D257.jpg
    16BD9C55-4240-4239-A247-F699CE20D257.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 104
  • CFC3FDA1-0392-41A0-B07D-2DAF95ECF5B9.jpg
    CFC3FDA1-0392-41A0-B07D-2DAF95ECF5B9.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
G5 Magnetic Heading

I am having an issue with the HSI G5 after installing dual G5s, a GAD29, GAD13, and GMU11 with my existing GNS430 non-WAAS. While flying along I am getting the yellow heading on the HSI and losing wind data. It recovers itself, but does it multiple times per flight. I am wondering if it is a similar issue where recalibrating the pitch and roll as well as calibrating the magnetometer again might fix the issue similar to an issue on a G3X thread. The wiring was professionally done and that particular avionics shop said “it’s a common issue” they see with dual G5 installs. After a quick internet search it seems Beechcraft, Piper, and Cessna aircraft have all had similar issues.

The other question I have is, how can the heading be different on the upper and lower displays if it is being supplied from the same magnetometer via the CANBUS?

The magnetometer provides information about the magnetic field in the immediate area surrounding the aircraft, which it supplies via CAN to the rest of the system. Each G5 then uses that data to calculate magnetic heading independently. We suggest recalibrating the pitch/roll offset, it will likely fix the problem. If not shoot us an email at [email protected] and we will figure out where to go from there.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the question and the reply. I am having the same problem with my dual G5 set up. I will try the recal as well.

I have a G5 and 2x GDU460 2xAHRS. One GMU11
Same issue. Have been going round in circles with Garmin for literally weeks and about 20flights trying to fix it. I reckon I’ve done a dozen pitch/roll recals.
Fly. Log. Email Garmin logs. Try something different.
I’ve done 3 of these installs with nil issues over the years so I’d like to think I know what I’m doing by now.
Seeing as there are so many threads on this I’m beginning to think there’s a bug somewhere.

Richard,

It just seems like a software issue to me. The comparison parameters are almost too tight. Hopefully there’s a future software update. In the meantime, maybe G3Xpert can help you with your specific issue.

Last edited:
Did you happen to get a resolution? I am having the same problem on a certified dual G5 installation.

My issue was vibration affecting the GSUs.
Resolved by mounting them on the back of the GDUs - where Garmin tells you not to :confused:

I had my prop balanced after putting mine in thinking it was vibration. They got my ips down very low and that still did not fix my issue.

Back