What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FLIR

FORANE

Well Known Member
Any recent FLIR products available on the market?
I have a GRT HX and have seen the option on their website for a FLIR camera. It doesn't list any specs. How does one compare specs on a FLIR camera?
Anyone have a FLIR install to share pics and give a PIREP?

FLIR Camera

I have a small FLIR 640x480 pixel camera I bought off e-bay that I'll be installing in my current aircraft project. After my research I decided that I needed the 640x480 resolution to make the camera really useable from an aircraft. Not a lot of small FLIRs available. Used car FLIRs seem to have lower resolution and ones I tracked down had separate camera and electronic packages and also appeared to require the camera and electronics to be electronically matched as part of a US government FLIR technology export requirement. But you can spend much more and get ready to install aircraft FLIR systems.

I have a small servo to build a swing down (open/close) FLIR camera mount that will install on an underwing access plate. I have 5 little cameras and a DVR on my RV8 so have built up some experience with cameras but haven't flown with my FLIR camera yet. The wiring is pretty simple, but getting the optics (lens) and installation right (alignment, vibration, etc) is the hard part. I hope to eventually have the FLIR video integrated into my Epic Optix HUD, but until then I'll start off just having it available on a G3x EFIS video input.

Thanks for the link to your FLIR article. Even though it was from a while back, I found it very informative. Especially since I have a GRT Hx EFIS. Several nugget takeaways for me! Thanks!

I have a small servo to build a swing down (open/close) FLIR camera mount that will install on an underwing access plate. I have 5 little cameras and a DVR on my RV8 so have built up some experience with cameras but haven't flown with my FLIR camera yet. The wiring is pretty simple, but getting the optics (lens) and installation right (alignment, vibration, etc) is the hard part. I hope to eventually have the FLIR video integrated into my Epic Optix HUD, but until then I'll start off just having it available on a G3x EFIS video input.

Would you be willing to share information on the models of cameras you have installed? Might be a useful reference for others.

Cameras on my RV8

Here are some pics and Web address for the Daytime Cameras I have on my RV8. Rear & Upward facing camera is mounted on a Backseat head rest I built.

Fuselage cameras are Repurposed Car Back Up Micro Cameras, but they come with the ability to Flip & Reverse the video which allows mounting several different ways and avoids confusing picture.

https://www.amazon.com/GreenYi-1280...words=rear+view+camera&qid=1635458215&sr=8-86

Underwing Cameras Forward/Down & Rear/Down (Same Type) on Access Plate.

My HUD Camera which is recorded on a Micro DVR. Camera is a FOXEER T-REX (Normally USED In FPV Racing Drones), These cameras all come with wide FOV Lens, so for the HUD I had to experiment with several different Lens until a found a 25MM Lens that would align with the HUD FOV. Good thing this camera has a changeable Lens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165378806784?hash=item2681585400:g:cMgAAOSw9S5h4ncg

Fuselage cameras are displayed on my MGL EFIS in the Front & Back Seat. And I built a selector switch which allows front or back seater independently select which of the 4 cameras to display.

The FLIR 640x480 Pixel Video Camera is going on my next plane. Purchased off E-Bay from a volunteer fire department. I haven't built the Servo actuated Door yet but it will swing down from under the right wing. I will also have to make an basic aerodynamic shell for the camera, but it wont be in the airstream continuously so it will be pretty simple.

Possible Cheaper but lower resolution IR Camera available soon?

https://store.hudway.co/nv_camera

IR cameras can't see through normal glass or plastic so mounting it like through a canopy doesn't work. 99% of the cheap IR cameras require an IR LED Lamp to work correctly. Of no use in an aircraft. I haven't found any affordable Low Light (Star Light) Video Cameras yet. To build your own FLIR Video system My recommendation is to look for a FLIR company product and get 640x480 pixel resolution. Used prices on E-Bay have been between $2K - $3K, And camera has to be small enough you can build a mount for your aircraft of some kind. There is a growing market for IR Camera equipped small drones so there is some neat IR cameras and remote turrets available from that market, but again they can be costly.

Attachments

• Back Seat Rear Camera Small.jpg
    Back Seat Rear Camera Small.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 48
  • HUD Camera.jpg
    HUD Camera.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 61
  • FLIR-FLIR NTSC Camera.jpg
    FLIR-FLIR NTSC Camera.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Under WIng Cameras.jpg
    Under WIng Cameras.jpg