What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Kit Reporting Log thread

Picked up wing kit!

RV-14a wing kit delivered, and picked up minus a few back ordered parts.
Will inventory this weekend, and start organizing.

Order date, Nov-3-2021
Delivery/pick up date, May-19-2022

Attachments

• AD4CE353-7C48-4259-AC19-4508F7DDEC5C.jpg
    AD4CE353-7C48-4259-AC19-4508F7DDEC5C.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 92
Very excited!!

Ordered Aug 1, delivered today. Old Dominion Freight took very good care of the crate.

14a empennage. Just 2 things on back order. Hopefully empty out the crate next week.

KJ

Attachments

• PXL_20220525_190644146.MP_4.jpg
    PXL_20220525_190644146.MP_4.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 89
status change today

Saw my EMP kit status changed to assigned to crating today! Dates still May 30th to June 20th. But so exciting!

ODFL did a great job. Crate looks to be in good shape.

Attachments

• IMG_4261.JPEG
    IMG_4261.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4262.JPEG
    IMG_4262.JPEG
    1 MB · Views: 106
Me last August: I'll order slow build wings and get them next year. By the time they show up my Emp will be done already and I'll move right to them.

Vans this spring: Here's your slow build wings and your emp kit like 1 month apart.

:)

Any delivers since end of May? My crating window is almost up and I haven’t heard anything, so getting nervous.

Me last August: I'll order slow build wings and get them next year. By the time they show up my Emp will be done already and I'll move right to them.

Vans this spring: Here's your slow build wings and your emp kit like 1 month apart.

:)

That happened to me! I ordered emp last May and then in October with 11 month lead times projected for the wings I submitted an order.

I got the emp kit in February and three weeks later- wing kit ready for crating! I kicked the cab down the road and have a new crating date of July/August. Whoever was next in the queue and got my wing kit in March- you’re welcome!

Odfl picking up emp crate tomorrow

Just got an email from odfl that they are scheduled for pick up of my emp crate in Oregon tomorrow! Don’t know how long it will take to make it to TX to schedule delivery, but excited anyway!

Got crating window

Just got my crating window of Oct 6 2022 - Oct 27 2022 for RV-14A EMP/CONE KIT. Ordered 1/1/2022.

A little longer than the 8 month estimate when I ordered but happy to see it go from nothing to a date range!

Emp delivery scheduled for 6/27

Placed the order in mid November, emp crating was estimated in the May to June 20th window, and delivery is tomorrow on 6/27.

Fuse coming July 14-Aug 11 and QB wings Jan 2023.

Hoping to get started this week! :)

Last edited:
Kit Type: RV-14A Empennage

Serial #: 141288

Date- Order Acknowledgement: May 2022

Current Status (as of June 25th): Expected crate date: Oct 6 2022 - Oct 27 2022

5 Months??!!!??

Kit Type: RV-14A Empennage

Serial #: 141288

Date- Order Acknowledgement: May 2022

Current Status (as of June 25th): Expected crate date: Oct 6 2022 - Oct 27 2022

5 Months??!!!??

Well, technically that's between about 3ish and 4 months from right now. Current lead times for the kit are published as ~4 months. We have a very large batch of kits being produced.

Firewall Forward kit

Not often mentioned, but still a consideration for most -14 builders:

Back in November when I began planning for the Firewall Forward Kit, the mothership indicated a 6 months lead time.

This week, I actually placed my FF order and they said the lead time is now only 8-10 weeks! :)

A pretty amazing improvement.

Emp kit delivered

My emp kit was delivered today. About 9 months was the lead time. Excited to continue building!

-14A kit Shipped

My bulk shipment set out today for LA, then by sea to Brisbane!

Emp/cone ordered June 2021
Wings ordered June 2021
Fuselage ordered June 2021
Finish ordered June 2021
Hartzell ordered June 2021
FWF ordered March 2022

As anticipated, every element of the kit contains a significant list of B/O parts!

Kit Type:RV-14

Serial #: 141241

Date- Order Acknowledgement: Late Feb for all kits

Wings
Actual Crating Date: Oct 6 2022 - Oct 27 2022D
Delivery Date: Sept 28 2022

Empennage
Crating Date: Oct 20 2022 - Dec 20 2022

Fuselage
Crating Date:

Finishing Kit
Crating Date: Dec 16 2022 - Jan 13 2023
Delivery Date:

Propeller:
Delivery Date:

Engine
Delivery Date

Delivery Date: Unkwn

Comments:

Last edited:
Ordered wings, emp, and fuselage kits mid February, serial #141248.

Received email the wings are ready for crating, order 200855. Paid the balance and am standing by for shipping info

Fuse kit delivered

Ordered 9/14/21, delivered 7/26/22 = 10 Months, 10 days against a 9 month ETA. Pretty good with all that happened last year!

There are some backordered items, but I'm still working the empennage anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_4326.JPEG
    IMG_4326.JPEG
    973.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4335.JPEG
    IMG_4335.JPEG
    927 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
More delays.

-Had a wing crating date of April, made full payment then.
-Then crating date moved to July 22-Aug 19. I called on Friday the 19th and they confirmed it was in crating.
-Now (4 days later) after the kit status portal was frozen for two weeks it updated this afternoon and my wing kit crating date is in November and my tail crating date moved back a month too.

They shouldn’t take your full payment until they know your parts are there.

They shouldn’t take your full payment until they know your parts are there.

It doesn't fix the core issue of delays, but know that we can and will return final payments if asked when a delay occurs. We don't want to hold onto it any more than you want us to. I know our team is talking with you, and this option is of course available should you wish to do so.

We've had some recent QuickBuild kit delays (shipping/labor) as well as some manufacturing damage (anodizing process issues) and some recently delayed parts/materials. This has resulted in a hit on our completion forecasts in some cases. We'll be communicating that information this week. We're unhappy about it, and we know it's very frustrating for everyone.

It doesn't fix the core issue of delays, but know that we can and will return final payments if asked when a delay occurs. We don't want to hold onto it any more than you want us to. I know our team is talking with you, and this option is of course available should you wish to do so.

We've had some recent QuickBuild kit delays (shipping/labor) as well as some manufacturing damage (anodizing process issues) and some recently delayed parts/materials. This has resulted in a hit on our completion forecasts in some cases. We'll be communicating that information this week. We're unhappy about it, and we know it's very frustrating for everyone.

Greg,

You are right that it doesn’t change the delays. I appreciate that I can get my payment back. It just seems that if you are asking for the payment so the kit can be crated, Vans should know if the parts are there. I called 4 days ago (the last day of my crating window) and was told it was being crated. And today it is pushed back three more months. Someone obviously had bad info.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Vans is a stand up company and makes some amazing aircraft. This is jut the frustration boiling over from being excited, then rejected, then excited again, and then rejected again. I’m sure I’ll be excited again in November.

Doug

Greg,

You are right that it doesn’t change the delays. I appreciate that I can get my payment back. It just seems that if you are asking for the payment so the kit can be crated, Vans should know if the parts are there. I called 4 days ago (the last day of my crating window) and was told it was being crated. And today it is pushed back three more months. Someone obviously had bad info.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Vans is a stand up company and makes some amazing aircraft. This is jut the frustration boiling over from being excited, then rejected, then excited again, and then rejected again. I’m sure I’ll be excited again in November.

Doug

Yes, clearly someone had bad info and I apologize personally for that. We're looking into that and figuring out what happened. And, thanks very much for understanding and sticking with us on this journey! It will be more than worth it in the end.

Well some improvement. I changed to being shipped to assembler to being assembled. However the end date moved from Jan 2023 to June 2023 for a crating date. I hope that is a mistake. I doubt the possibility of a Sep 28 2022 ship date. I ordered May 2021.
crate.png

Date pushed back.

RV-14 EMP/CONE KIT

Builder #: 141241 Crating moved from Oct 6 2022 - Oct 27 2022 to Nov 15 2022 - Dec 20 2022. Ordered on 1/1/2022.

My empennage crating date moved from October to November/December too, a week after I was reassured by email that the schedule was unlikely to slip. My wife and I completed the 2 day SportAir sheet metal workshop at Oshkosh so we're ready and raring to go.
Oh well, we still have practice kits, toolboxes, and the vans light box to work on...

My empennage crating date moved back too :(

I ordered the wings and fuselage at the same time (April 2022) but no crating date so far - does anyone have one?

Last edited:
Fuselage crafting date

Ordered late feb 22. I haven’t received an email yet, but I now have a crating date of march 16 - April 15 ‘23. 14-15 months, if all holds (but I am suffering the slow build wing slide like so many others - not sure what value to put on these dates…)

Don’t know if anyone else got this, but I just got an email saying my SB wing kit has moved up from November - now showing crating window of 5-30 Sept.

Ordered end of Feb, shipping notification today.

Ordered all four kits end of February, the day before the price hike. Wings shipment notification received today. Wish it was the empennage, but I am not complaining. Looking forward to getting started.

Balance Due Payment

Just received balance due email for tail kit. Promptly paid! Getting a little more real now. :eek:

Received notice last week that finish kit moved up to Nov - Dec 2022.
Ordered all kits in October 2021.
Will be well before the QB wing and fuse (mid -2023), but guess I will take it.

Received notice last week that finish kit moved up to Nov - Dec 2022.
Ordered all kits in October 2021.
Will be well before the QB wing and fuse (mid -2023), but guess I will take it.

Mine is going the same way. Ordered QB Wings & Fuselage May 2021 and Finishing Kit September 2021. Finishing is now Mid Dec '22 - Mid Jan '23. QB's are Mid Sept '22 (already past) through early June '23 for a crating date.

So Finish was ordered four months before QB kits and looks like I will have a finishing kit with nothing to put it on.

Finished Empennage months ago. Just filling the time buying the rest of the parts and about to start panel.

Finish Kit in crating

Had a little bit of confusion with some of the new staff with billing vs. shipping addresses, but got it straightened out. Made my payment last week on my finish kit and it shows assigned to crating today. Order date was October 14, 2021, so just over a year.

I also got my backordered fuse kit items in September (firewall L&R, master cylinders and flap motor).

Had a little bit of confusion with some of the new staff with billing vs. shipping addresses, but got it straightened out. Made my payment last week on my finish kit and it shows assigned to crating today. Order date was October 14, 2021, so just over a year.

I also got my backordered fuse kit items in September (firewall L&R, master cylinders and flap motor).

I still have some outstanding fuselage parts from my delivering in March. Interested which flap motor you received. Is it the new design that is from the -10? I was debating going with the PH Aviation flap motor instead of the stock Van's motor, but I understand the delay may be due to the redesign and that the new design is very similar to the PH Aviation motor.

I still have some outstanding fuselage parts from my delivering in March. Interested which flap motor you received. Is it the new design that is from the -10? I was debating going with the PH Aviation flap motor instead of the stock Van's motor, but I understand the delay may be due to the redesign and that the new design is very similar to the PH Aviation motor.

The flap motor is the ES-85615-10 RV10/14 according to the packing list. It was manufactured at the end of July, and has an engraved "Vans" and 10 on the gear housing. Maybe it is the new design?

Also, I just got my shipping notification from Vans and from ABF just a few minutes ago, looks like they're cranking things out pretty well. A few items on backorder, notably main gear fairings.

Last edited:
The flap motor is the ES-85615-10 RV10/14 according to the packing list. It was manufactured at the end of July, and has an engraved "Vans" and 10 on the gear housing. Maybe it is the new design?

Also, I just got my shipping notification from Vans and from ABF just a few minutes ago, looks like they're cranking things out pretty well. A few items on backorder, notably main gear fairings.

Interesting. The Van's store says the ES-85615 motor is being phased out due to supplier issues (https://store.vansaircraft.com/10-flap-motor-retrofit-kit.html). It looks like the new -10 design uses the same motor as the -12 (https://store.vansaircraft.com/es-fa-pa-450-12-5.html). I'm not sure what to expect now.

Back