What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFF/ADS-B antenna location

dromuald

I am building a taildragger with the G3X panel and a GTX-45R transponder/ADS-B unit. I am using a blade antenna, I only need one antenna location for both functions. Given I have two delta pop comm antenna under the cockpit I was going to use the aft antenna location in the tail cone for the GTX-45R. There is also the possibility to mount the antenna in the location under the baggage area. I am mounting the GTR behind the baggage bulkhead so the antenna cable run is about the same for either location. Is there anything else I should consider before choosing a location? Any tips on covering the extra hole. I was just going to make a plate with nutplates and attach it through the screw holes that already exist.

I mounted the adsb blade below the baggage compartment, because my 45R is in front of the passenger. I put a “twig” transponder antenna under the tail cone to close the center hole and left the other 2 open for drainage. The “twig” looks like it belongs, is cheap, and is not attached to anything. It also allowed me to save a little weight removing the coax the plans have you install to the tail. :)

Back