What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixed mag/EI plug layout - Kris Kross will make you jump jump

BruceMe

Well Known Member
The accepted layout for ignition/plug is to cross the top/bottom with the left right magnetos... Kris Kross, you're welcome!

Any EI (I happen to have just installed an emag) is stronger sparking (especially at idle), less susceptible to fouling and lead build up and is better suited to be on the bottom plugs where these factors are more pronounced. Ontop of that the plugs are $3 to replace instead of $40.

#1 - Why are they crossed? What's the benefit?
#2 - Has anyone wired straight top/bottom, how's that working overall?

Thanks!

-Bruce

Last edited:
Short answer - yes and it works just fine.

For dual pMags, each runs all the plugs on the top or bottom. For a mag and pMag combination, the mag is on the top plugs and the pMag on the bottom.

Carl

mag drop

Short answer - yes and it works just fine.

For dual pMags, each runs all the plugs on the top or bottom. For a mag and pMag combination, the mag is on the top plugs and the pMag on the bottom.

Carl
I had mine (2x pmags) bottom/top and Bill recommended I cross them as you would do with normal mags, mainly to reduce the difference in mag drop. I still get more drop on one mag than I do the other.

T_PD8f.gif

I have 2 Pmags. One fires the top plugs, the other fires the bottom. Mag drop difference is about 30rpm. I attribute that to spark plug location in the cylinders.

Bevan

Back