What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to paint interior?

tkatc

Well Known Member
As more and more stuff gets installed into my fuse, I keep asking myself when I will go ahead and paint the interior. I prefer to have everything ready then just spray it all at once and be done. I plan on using JetFlex or similar product. When is a good time to go ahead and do it?

Are you going to do a complete upholstered interior??

Or, just painted panels??

You might think about the choices available from the various vendors, and see what they suggest.

I know that Flightline has an instruction sheet of what needs to be painted when I was using their interior kit with my 10.

I purchased the interior from Classic in the second year of building so I could match paint to the leather colors. I then installed the interior as soon as I could to see what needed to be painted and what didn't. The results are stunning!

I get a lot of comments that it looks like a high-end sports car. :D

Tony, I painted my interior before I riveted the panels together!

The paint held up well.

Soooo I guess the answer to your question is anytime!

:cool: CJ

I painted my interior when I got all the interior and baggage area parts installed and before I riveted the fwd and rear top fuse skins. The removable interior parts, floor pans baggage floor, aft side panels etc. we're painted on a bench, off of the plane. I did get a nick here and there throughout the rest of the construction, but they are very minor, so painting when I did made a hard job a bit easier. Hope this helps.

Bird

If you paint early, plan on doing a lot of touch up as you climb in and out installing stuff, running wires, etc. If you wait, you have a lot more masking to do and more stuff in the way.

I am at the point where the wings have been mounted and the flap fairings have been installed, and I've decided to go ahead and paint most of the interior, baggage compartment up to the front seat. Since I'm using rattle can paint, touch up will be easy and I've resigned myself to having to touch it up some before the end. I do plan to use a moving blanket to protect the cabin floor etc while I climb in and out. After I get the front baggage door and front skins riveted, I'll finish painting the rest.

There's no obvious perfect answer to this question

Last edited by a moderator:
I painted my interior as stated above, about 4 years before I completed it. I used PPG Concept custom matched and after it cured for about 2 weeks, I covered and wrapped all of the painted surfaces with foam shipping material and lots of masking tape. In the end I only had to do 2 or 3 touch ups! I literally padded everything including the floors. No regrets!

I painted all of the interior before it was assembled with JetFlex WR. Let it cure for a few days and it is hard as nails. It has held up beautifully during the rest of the build process and still looks like new.

PPG

I painted my interior as stated above, about 4 years before I completed it. I used PPG Concept custom matched and after it cured for about 2 weeks, I covered and wrapped all of the painted surfaces with foam shipping material and lots of masking tape. In the end I only had to do 2 or 3 touch ups! I literally padded everything including the floors. No regrets!

I also plan on using PPG Concept. That has been my paint of choice for a long time. Did you shoot the concept on the steel roll bars? I'm thinking I will just scuff them and shoot the concept over the powder coat.

Any advice?

I first washed them with soap and water, then sanded with 400 grit paper. Painted directly over that with the Concept and it is holding up perfectly. I did remove the factory applied primer from the interior aluminum parts and primed them with a self etching automotive primer, then Concept. All is holding up very well.

I purchased the interior from Classic in the second year of building so I could match paint to the leather colors. I then installed the interior as soon as I could to see what needed to be painted and what didn't. The results are stunning!

I get a lot of comments that it looks like a high-end sports car. :D

He's right... It does! :D

I painted all of the interior before it was assembled with JetFlex WR. Let it cure for a few days and it is hard as nails. It has held up beautifully during the rest of the build process and still looks like new.

Bruce:
Where did you get the Jetflex paint?

Back