What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Funnels?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I like to think of at least one trivial topic per week, post it here, and see what kind of pictures we can get! Seriously, it does build up the archives.... ;)

So here's the thing. I have yet to find a decent funnel that fits in the oil door of my -8, reaches the oil tube on the engine, and has a diameter large enough so that it takes less than five minnutes to add a quart! I've got this long skinny one that I have to add oil to by the ounce...anybody want to show their super-fantastic funnel for adding a quart of oil?! And then a hint of where you found it?!

(BTW, The spout that Exxon gives you with a case of Elite doesn't fit the Lycoming oil tube...) :mad:

I've been lucky-- every airplane I have added oil to the last five years seems to accept a regular ole 12 oz. plastic coke or water bottle with the bottom cut off.

on the 182 I just plug the oil bottle in.

fwiw.

I guess it helps to keep that area clean though. I was at an airshow today and the judges were just walking up to my plane. They asked if I could remove the cowling so that they could see the engine. "No, but I'll let you look through my oil door." :)

Model #415 "Clean Funnel" from Spruce with the narrow tip chopped off a bit.

funnel415.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/cleanfunnel.php

I chopped a few inches of the tip off to increase flow.

It's been 7 years and its time to answer Pauls's query ...

Today I needed to add oil to my RV-8 during ore-flight. (For the curious, my O320 burns about a qt per 40 hrs so I've never needed to do this before but since I plumbed the new EMS I have a tiny weeping somewhere so now I use a qt after about 25 hrs). I'll find the little drip the next time the cowl is off).

But to Paul's point I needed a funnel that fit in the inspection door of the RV-8. I also wanted something that could be added to the airplane's travel kit. Finally I wanted something not too expensive. I found a very effective solution.

Every case of Phillips oil I buy has a nice screw-on spout that works well for me.

On a related note, I custom fit the oil filler tube so the dipstick is only a couple of inches inside the cowling.

Last edited:
I picked this one up at Wally World for a couple of bucks.

It fits right in my flight bag, inside a Ziploc bag.

The only drawback, and this is a minor nit, is that you can't just dump the oil jug in the funnel and walk away.

2011-09-04_13-30-03_682.jpg

2011-09-04_13-31-07_641.jpg

I use the Phillips spout too. It screws on the bottle of oil then if you are careful and quick you can start the oil flowing and just force the spout down into the threads a little, then rotate the assembly to screw down into the dipstick tube. It will support the by-now partially empty quart bottle while you go about other duties. Works great.

The cutoff coke bottle works great too in a pinch but you have to stand there and hold the bottle of oil until it is empty.

Last edited:
I picked this one up at Wally World for a couple of bucks.

It fits right in my flight bag, inside a Ziploc bag.

The only drawback, and this is a minor nit, is that you can't just dump the oil jug in the funnel and walk away.

2011-09-04_13-31-07_641.jpg

Dito on the same one with a little trimming on the top to even it out. The 6 has a great shelf in the back which holds a bunch of stuff with a bungy cord. :rolleyes:

Won't help you on the large mouth Exxon Elite bottles... but these work great on Aeroshell and Phillips X/C bottles.

I bought mine at Advance Auto Parts. Has a quarter-turn cutoff valve built in.

9180095_ftl_10107b_pri_larg.jpg

Last edited:
I use the paper ones from Spruce. No worry of dirt or cleanup. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/oilfunnel.php?clickkey=8838

+1 on the paper funnels from Spruce. I have also used paper funnels from West Marine. I guess this is not a very "Green" option, but I don't miss having to carry an oily funnel in a ziploc bag around in the airplane. I have a stash of them in my hangar and always have a couple in the fly away kit in the airplane. Neat and clean!:)

Won't help you on the large mouth Exxon Elite bottles... but these work great on Aeroshell and Phillips X/C bottles.

I bought mine at Advance Auto Parts. Has a quarter-turn cutoff valve built in.

9180095_ftl_10107b_pri_larg.jpg

I use the same thing but it came from Pep-Boys.

I wrap mine in a paper towel and then place it in a ZipLoc bag that goes in my tool bag.

Last edited:
Oil Funnels

I like to think of at least one trivial topic per week, post it here, and see what kind of pictures we can get! Seriously, it does build up the archives.... ;)

So here's the thing. I have yet to find a decent funnel that fits in the oil door of my -8, reaches the oil tube on the engine, and has a diameter large enough so that it takes less than five minnutes to add a quart! I've got this long skinny one that I have to add oil to by the ounce...anybody want to show their super-fantastic funnel for adding a quart of oil?! And then a hint of where you found it?!

(BTW, The spout that Exxon gives you with a case of Elite doesn't fit the Lycoming oil tube...) :mad:

Take one of those 79 cents long black funnels you find a Wall-mart, cut off the bottom to enlarge the hole but keep it long enough to hold its place in the filler neck. Squeeze the top with a clamp of some type and hit it with a heat gun until it maintains an oblong shape. The distorted top will hold a quart bottle of Aeroshell hands free and the bottom will let it drain as fast as the oil can get out.

John Ciolino
RVB-8
N894Y

I use the same thing but it came from Pep-Boys.

I wrap mine in a paper towel and then place it in a ZipLoc bag that goes in my tool bag.

I wish somebody would make one with the larger mouth size... then it would fit both Exxon Elite bottles and Mobile 1 bottles, so I could use it on my Audi in which I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

I use a transmission oil funnel found at any automotive store. Long neck and will take a full qt. with no problem.

If stranded somewhere without a funnel, just taking a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper and rolling it into a funnel works. Hold it while filling so the basic shape is retained. You can get a quart in without any worry of spilling.

Dan

Dito on the same one with a little trimming on the top to even it out. The 6 has a great shelf in the back which holds a bunch of stuff with a bungy cord. :rolleyes:

Most of us at YCAB use this type, and it works well. It also fits great under your old Oil filter when you have to remove and replace it. :)

Last edited:
If you're away from home and you need a funnel in a pinch, roll-up a piece of photocopy paper into a funnel shape.

It's sufficiently impermeable to oil that you can put a quart or two in without leaks. And you didn't need that NOTAM you printed out at your departure airport anymore anyway, right?

- mark

Blitz oilflex spout

Picked a bunch of these up at Wal-Mart a few years ago. I think they were $0.50 each then. They extend far enough to hold the end into the dipstick tube before starting to pour. They thread onto the oil bottle so you can put a quart in the airplane in 30-40 seconds. In the hangar I keep one on an old oil bottle to let it drain for re-use. On the road I just put them in a baggie or trash them so I don't get the mess in the airplane.

Andy

photo_zpse92e430d.jpg

Andy's Wallmart SPOUT'S !

I went to Wally world yesterday and bought the .50 cent type that Andy suggested , 6 of them ! They were a BIG hit at the hanger B.S. session !
Thanks Andy . :)

Back