-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-13-2021, 08:30 AM

My emp kit which came early May was from what I understand to be final sized parts.
Some of the parts had orange labels, but it's not clear to me this orange is the same as the labels that are orange highlighter to indicate not final size. But rather just orange stock they have in their labeling gun. For sure form what I saw the parts with the orange label stock were final size.

You will find that you still need to assemble most of the parts and disassemble. I was thinking final size would save some of the assemble/disassemble steps, but I've not seen that to be the case. You are just saving some of the drilling time and that's it. Even worse, the instructions aren't updated yet so you are left with the mystery of when to drill and when not to drill.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby View Post
derp.. yes! haha.

edit: also 5 hours feels low. I have at least that in the wing skins between getting them on, moving clecos, and the actual drilling (and waiting on the compressor).
I agree....
The time savings is quite a bit more. Particularly since additional time is also saved by not needing to cleco a structure entirely together twice before actually doing any skin riveting.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 11-13-2021, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking forward to getting started hopefully soon.

Scott, I remember reading somewhere that you only need to deburr if needed. Did I read that right, feel the part and if no burr then carry on?

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 11-14-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
Particularly since additional time is also saved by not needing to cleco a structure entirely together twice before actually doing any skin riveting.
I end up following the plans exactly and just marking the drilling steps completed if I determine the holes are final sized. Hadn't thought about skipping the clecoing in some areas. Maybe on the fuselage it will make a bigger difference with all the various skins there. That being said, I do like having the cleco-ed structure before riveting anything just to make sure everything looks right. And for something like the tailcone, I would imagine you need to cleco anyway to keep the tailcone rigid while you drill the aft deck.

Alex
Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I agree....
The time savings is quite a bit more. Particularly since additional time is also saved by not needing to cleco a structure entirely together twice before actually doing any skin riveting.
Yeah exactly. I did a rough timing of how long it took me to do a fairly simple final drill operation: the rear spar seat supports and uprights. 120 holes in total took about 30 minutes from the time I started to the time I broke it down. That doesnít include finding parts or peeling blue or any of the other ops on that page but it does include reading the instructions and double checking everything and moving clecos and moving the assembly around for access. I also omitted the 15 min or so it took to drill the AN3 bolt holes.

Thatís about 15s/hole. At that rate you would save 80+ hours on the whole build which does feel closer to reality. The remaining pages in section 25 have been basically to peel the blue off, deburr, do any countersinking/dimpling and itís ready for primer and assembly.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:18 PM

I should be receiving my empennage kit sometime in December or January. I hope it will be all final size holes.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:14 PM

I received and started my empennage in April 2021 and don't think anything was final drilled.. I didn't notice any different color labels.. everything has a white label on it.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisimperial View Post
I received and started my empennage in April 2021 and don't think anything was final drilled.. I didn't notice any different color labels.. everything has a white label on it.
I received my empennage around the same time and there was a note saying an orange mark meant the holes were not final sized - a few parts had an orange mark but most skins did not, and most skins were final sized.