What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Servo in the right wing or fuse?

mill2978

Well Known Member
I just started working on my right wing and am trying to decide on the placement of the roll servo for my auto pilot. I plan to use a GRT,Dynon, or TruTrak system, my understanding is that the servos are all the same externally and that I can use the mounting brackets interchangeably.

Is there any advantage to putting the roll servo in the right wing Vs the fuselage? I am tempted to put it in the wing just to have one less item in the fuselage.

Is there anything else I should consider? Is it harder to service the AP in the wing?

Thanks

Aaron

I have mine in the fuselage because it was the best solution for me at the time. About a month later Trio came out with their wing mount servo bracket. If it had been available at my install, there would be no question as to where the sevo would mount. The wing mount is much simpler.

I have a Trutrak setup. Mine was a retro-fit project but it was easy in the fuselage and it makes condition inspection easy too.

Trio indicates about 45 minutes for the install in the wing using their bracket. The time was right on, and that included removing the existing bellcrank and connections. Its the only way to go IMHO.

The wing mount is directly behind the access panel. It is easy access to everything once 10 or so screws are removed on the access plate. I guess during the conditional inspection one has to remove all 75 or so screws on the seat pan in the fuselage to inspect everything underneath. At that time you will have easy access to the servo. Butttt. . . what if you have to access it outside of that conditional inspection. I hate removing those 75 screws!

For an initial build, I prefer the fuselage because it allows you to do all-up system testing while you're still in the shop, before you put the wings on. Since you're building an -8, there aren't as many screws to remove as in the side by sides to get at it - and you'll pull those for every annual anyways.

I recently had to change the wing-mounted roll servo in our -3, and it was nowhere near as much fun laying on my back with my arms up above me.

Back