What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do between kit deliveries?

selhardt

Well Known Member
Save me from myself fellow builders...

I'm done with my wing and the only thing I could find to do in the shop last night was to wash the filter in my shop vac!

My fuse kit is supposed to ship next week, but man I'm antsy to keep building.

I'm doing all of the catch-up stuff I can like updating my build log and panel planning and dreaming about paint schemes, but I'm having serious building withdrawal!

Moaning and rocking in Minnesota!

Scott, have you done all the glass work on you emp & wings? Are your Wing tips mounted? How about the wing tip lenses?

What about your wing root fairing? You can get those all done except for the final trim to match them to the fuselage.

Rick said it!!!

Do the glass work!!!! This is something you can start and cycle back and forth during the construction. Since most RVer's hate it, it is good to start early.

go for a ride

i am in my phase 1 testing or i would offer. maybe in a couple of weeks. do you have a hanger you could build a painting area. have you done all of the wing wires? you can post forums lol.

Scott,
You've already received some good suggestions. My suggestion is to start working on your electrical system. Step one is to sign up on the Aeroelectric List over on Matronics.com
I taught myself AutoCAD by using it to design and draw up all my electrical schematic diagrams.
Charlie Kuss

I'm in the middle of wiring and plumbing. There are sooooo many items in this area that would have been easier to install/rough in if the side panels of the fuselage were not permanently installed. A rear battery is a piece of cake with out the turtleback.

I think the second RV will go much faster than the first!

Electrical system planning

Agree with the Charlies.
Panel planning.
Electrical system planning to the extent you can
Neither is trivial.

Since you probably don't have the parts, this means serious time on the net obtaining pdf install manuals and wiring diagrams. I have a 4" D ring binder that is nearly full of the electrical stuff I have selected to put in, not including the stuff I had in mind at one time and now discounted.

Although I did not track revisions, I would guess my final panel drawing (holes are cut now) was on its 40th revision from where I initially started pipe dreaming during wing construction. The earlier these decisions are made, the less time is spent wringing hands when it is time to order the parts.

Since you don't have fuselage, measuring wire length is hard, but you can do a lot as far as schematic work. The aeroelectric info is great but it is not describing YOUR exact airplane. There is considerable info to add to Bob's prints in order to create your order list. There are many ideas spread in the book and no single schematic may describe the combination you want.

This means identifying every wire (size, color if you wish) , every switch (poles and type of action) and deciding on your electrical system philosophy. You want this detailed so that you have an order list for the standard vendors

Last edited:
Walk away and put as much enthusiasm in your marriage as the building.

A wise investment of time with a great payback.

Great ideas all!

- I have been doing the glass work as I go (and glad I did).
- Wings are wired, lights are in
- Shop is clean
- Wife is happy (this suggestion was a great one)
- I have Bob Nuckols book and have been reading and thinking, but it is probably time to commit to an electrical architecture and begin the process of creating schematics.
- Plus all of the read aheads in the forums for the fuselage, engine and prop decisions, so much to do!

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I think the fact that rivets aren't being bucked doesn't mean there isn't anything to do, just need to re-orient my noggin.

Back