What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR RV-8

algrajek

Well Known Member
I am trying to figure out the LEAST expensive way to build my 8 for IFR, but trying to keep the costs down. Any Ideas??? I currently have a Dynon D180, Garmin 327 Xponder an dual comms with Garmin 696.
Al

How about a single SL-30 Nav/Com and and SL-40. 696 is not legal for IFR nav but the 30 covers the requirement.

Absolute cheapest would probably be:

(A) 1 low-end EFIS + 1 used NAV/COMM + 1 used IFR GPS unit (e.g. King KLN 89B/94B, etc.)

Close behind with a little more capability would probably be:

(B) 1 low-end EFIS + 1 used IFR GPS/NAV/COMM unit (e.g. Garmin 430 Series).

Depending on how cheap you could find used instruments and a vacuum system, you could probably do a six-pack plus the avionics listed above.

If you really want dirt-dirt-cheapest initial purchase price, you could probably do: used six-pack plus used NAV/COMM + used ADF + used DME, but you take up a lot more panel space and greatly increase maintenance costs, while getting less capability.

Last edited:
all you need legally is the equipment for which you intend to fly. IE a compass and a stopwatch is legal, but remember the IFR static check.

Hi Al,

Lots of threads in the archives on what people think you need for IFR...hours of enjoyable reading!

My only comment is that there is a huge difference between what is LEGAL for an IFR platform, and what is USEFUL as an IFR platform. For instance, you can be very legal with an SL-30, but you'll find that the places to which you can actually file and/or shoot an approach are dwindling rapidly. The IFR system is rapidly changing in favor of GPS, and without one (or a DME...but why pay for one of those?), you'll find lots of airports that will be inaccessible.

A good answer to your question will depend on if you are equipping yourself for an emergency-type IFR platform, where you just need to get down somewhere, or if you want to have a versatile machine you can file with just about anywhere.

Paul

My only comment is that there is a huge difference between what is LEGAL for an IFR platform, and what is USEFUL as an IFR platform. For instance, you can be very legal with an SL-30, but you'll find that the places to which you can actually file and/or shoot an approach are dwindling rapidly. The IFR system is rapidly changing in favor of GPS, and without one (or a DME...but why pay for one of those?), you'll find lots of airports that will be inaccessible.

I'll second that motion; I went with a basic six pack and a used KX-125 nav/com thinking I could use the VOR for basic IFR capability, enroute nav plus VOR or LOC approaches. So far it hasn't hindered me that much, but I'm now kinda wishing I had an approach capable GPS as well. The problem is as Paul described, there are fewer and fewer basic VOR usable approaches these days. At my home 'drome Hooks (Houston) I can't do any approaches since they're LOC(ADF req'd) or GPS; same goes for Conroe, Weiser and most other nearby fields, they all require equipment that I just don't have.

On my return from LOE last month Houston was overcast with ceilings ranging from around 1200 to 1600' OVC. The best I could do was a VOR-D into West Houston; broke out at about 1300 ft and had to sneak underneath the 16 miles over to Hooks. So there I was; solo, no autopilot, night, actual VOR approach followed by a "reposition" to home base. As I rolled the ship back into the hangar I was dreaming of an approach capable GPS... and an autopilot... and a paint job. But I digress...

Cheapest -- get an old Narco Nav 12 self contained VOR with glideslope capability for about $600. Best? Get a 430w.

I'll second that motion; I went with a basic six pack and a used KX-125 nav/com thinking I could use the VOR for basic IFR capability, enroute nav plus VOR or LOC approaches. So far it hasn't hindered me that much, but I'm now kinda wishing I had an approach capable GPS as well. The problem is as Paul described, there are fewer and fewer basic VOR usable approaches these days. At my home 'drome Hooks (Houston) I can't do any approaches since they're LOC(ADF req'd) or GPS; same goes for Conroe, Weiser and most other nearby fields, they all require equipment that I just don't have.

On my return from LOE last month Houston was overcast with ceilings ranging from around 1200 to 1600' OVC. The best I could do was a VOR-D into West Houston; broke out at about 1300 ft and had to sneak underneath the 16 miles over to Hooks. So there I was; solo, no autopilot, night, actual VOR approach followed by a "reposition" to home base. As I rolled the ship back into the hangar I was dreaming of an approach capable GPS... and an autopilot... and a paint job. But I digress...

We would all like to dreem of a "G-900" in the pannle. I don't think it's the gadgets that get one down. Use what you know and train on and stay sharp, even if it is only an SL-3O and an old six pack. " Don't push the bull around he will hook you sooner or later.""
Your as always R.E.A. III # 80888

Back