What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 Car kit

N941WR

Legacy Member
Today I was using the car audio kit that came with my 496 and when I unplugged the cord from the back of the 496 the plug stayed in the unit and the wires yanked right out of it.

Has this happened to anyone else and how did Garmin handle it?

Thanks for the help.

Just happened to me a week ago. Call Garmin and they will send you a new one, they has a bad batch from the supplier.

On the new one (or for other RV'ers reading this) lube up the plugs with dielectric grease.

Last edited:
Yep, I just got off the phone with Garmin and they are sending a free one.

My question is what about the one installed in the plane? I suspect it will have to be replaced at some point.

Yep, I just got off the phone with Garmin and they are sending a free one.

My question is what about the one installed in the plane? I suspect it will have to be replaced at some point.

Like I said if you grease it they will last longer, but if it bothers you call Garmin in a few weeks. ;)

Like I said if you grease it they will last longer, but if it bothers you call Garmin in a few weeks. ;)
Looks like I'll have to call them sooner. I just about pulled the thing apart while removing the 496 from the plane yesterday. :(

Those have to be the most poorly engineered parts in history!:( I was using a friends 296 and the same thing happened. When my 496 arrived, I immediately took some small wire ties and reinforced the plugs. Absolutely no problems to date.

And another quick call to Bob at Garmin will have a replacement wiring kit delivered to my door by tomorrow.

Bob is a pilot and has a LancAir 320 that he has built so he understood my frustration. He went on to say that the vendor made a bunch of bad connectors and these news ones are supposed to be better. Still, I think I will put some type of connector in there so I don't have rewire everything, should this connector go bad.

Back