What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Restaurant recommendations within a 100m of KGMU?

blkfin

I'm New Here
Greetings all

Picking up an old friend at KGMU (Greenville, SC) to take him out for lunch on his birthday. Looking for recommendations for good places to eat on Airport within a hundred miles.

Thanks in advance.

Safe flying

Jim
RV-7a

Last edited:
Sierra nevada brewing is directly behind KAVL. They spent something like 175 million building the facility, it's quite nice though I suspect may not be fully open due to covid restrictions around Asheville.

KHKY (Hickory NC)

GMU to KHKY = 72 nm.

The Crosswind Cafe. I think there is an aviation museum on the field also. Have heard that the Cafe is pretty good. Been planning to go there for years, had more than a few recommendations to go there - haven't made it yet.

Greetings all

Picking up an old friend at KGMU (Greenville, SC) to take him out for lunch on his birthday. Looking for recommendations for good places to eat on Airport within a hundred miles.

Thanks in advance.

Safe flying

Jim
RV-7a

Sorry but this made me chuckle. The Runway Café at GMU is a very common destination. I don't know all the restaurants (especially south of GMU) but here's my list including what others have said.

GMU Runway Café
FQD 57 Alpha. Only outdoor seating. I don't go here often.
HKY Crosswind Café
EHO The Flying Pig BBQ restaurant a short walk across the street from FBO.
AVL Plenty of near restaurants but you need a crew car or rental. I hear the visitor FBO fees can sting.

Fly2lunch.com shows restaurants at or walkable at these places (100 mi GMU rad) but I have never been there.

DNL
LZU

BQ1 in NC is out of your range at 146 miles but it is good BBQ on the field.

Last edited:
I have dined at all the listed places. If it’s a nice weekend day BQ1 would be my hands down favorite. Great food and sit outside and watch the planes. 146 in a RV is not bad!

Back