What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Gotcha - Wing Root Fairing

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
A gotcha discrepancy between 18-04 Fuel Tank Skin, the top inboard wing skin, and 41-04 Wing Fairing.

The 41-04 instructions call for dimpling all of the holes in the top wing fairing (including the #17 holes for the #8 countersunk screws). But - 6 of the top inboard wing skin attach holes are not dimpled and do not have dimpled platenuts installed (as the wing instructions indicate); plus, three of the #8 screw attach points in the T-1005B/C Shims (ref T-00006-L/R Tank Attach Brackets) not for dimpled screws.

After reviewing this with Kevin at Van's - he agreed with me to carefully machine counter sink those 9 non-dimpled attach screw points in the wing skin to allow the wing fairing skin's dimpled points to fit down into those attach points. This is instead of the other option of flattening out those dimpled #17 holes and having to truss head screws.

I did a search through VAF forums without finding that anyone else found this. Van's so far had not heard of this plans discrepancy. The most current plans instructions still reflect this disconnect - so that should to be corrected.

On page 16-04 Step 2 it asks you to countersink the #19 holes to fit a #8 screw dimple. Would these be the holes you are referring to?

Not sure about the fuel tanks section though - not up to that as yet!

My Bad. >NOT a GOTCHA<

I stand corrected - the holes were called out to be countersunk.

On page 16-04 Step 2 it asks you to countersink the #19 holes to fit a #8 screw dimple. Would these be the holes you are referring to?

I looked back at that section and I had marked 16-04, Step 2 as done, but I did not do it. Good catch.

I can't believe anyone would miss a step in the plans. Never happened to me. Anyone buying this? :)

Last edited:
It?s ok, Jeff. I had the QB fuselage and there were missing countersinks in it, too. Even the factory misses a few. :rolleyes:

I can't believe anyone would miss a step in the plans. Never happened to me. Anyone buying this? :)

Clarification - I did not miss the step - I had checked it off as I believed that I did it. So I missed doing the step not acknowledging it.

I'm relieved though that the countersink call-out was in the instructions.

It's a recoverable boo-boo.

Don?t worry - a mate of mine (pilot, non-builder) was over and looking at my half riveted skins on the HS. He casually remarked:
?how come one of the holes isn?t dimpled??
?Oh, that?s where a nut plate goes for the tail fairing?
?Oh, ok. Why do you dimple the rib underneath the hole??
**takes a look** **head slap**

Thankfully it was a hole on an end rib and I was able to set the dies a bit wider and dimple the skin and rib together. Phew. Literally had half the rivets done on the HS. (I had checked this step off as completed after checking I hadn?t missed a hole too!)

Back