What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberfrax?

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Thinking of using Fiberfrax on cowling near exhaust pipes.

Has anyone used this material and if so, what thickness is recommended 1/16" or 1/8"?

Has anyone used this material and if so, what thickness is recommended 1/16" or 1/8"?

It is pretty common. fiberfax with a layer of adhesive foil over it, edges of the foil sealed with RTV. 1/16 is enough, but 1/8 wont hurt.

49clipper

I am thinking of adding 1/8" to my firewall on a new build. It says 2000f temp. anyone used it in lieu of some of the other stuff tested by Dan H.? I don't recall him testing fiberfax.
Jim RV-6
dues paid

I am thinking of adding 1/8" to my firewall on a new build. It says 2000f temp. anyone used it in lieu of some of the other stuff tested by Dan H.? I don't recall him testing fiberfax.
Jim RV-6
dues paid

Pretty sure Fiberfrax is what Dan is using on his plane------and has recommended in a few threads on this subject.

I used 1/16" for one pipe 1/2" away from the glass. It seems to work well, but don't have any temperature data. 1/16" is plenty for most, but just double for specific protection. I sprayed adhesive on the back to keep it from blistering, not sure if that was needed. Then covered the top with adhesive backed aluminum foil from Vans.

I put 1/16" Fiberfrax on the firewall covered with stainless steel foil, seamed with Al tape; and the same 1/16" on my exhaust tunnel covered with .012 Titanium sheet seemed with Firebarrier 2000. I believe Dans test showed it does its job but does outgas when flamed, hence his recommendation was only on the engine side......thickness would be your call. I dont know any property differences.
206irl4.jpg

Last edited:
I put 1/16" Fiberfrax on the firewall covered with stainless steel foil, seamed with Al tape; and the same 1/16" on my exhaust tunnel covered with .012 Titanium sheet seemed with Firebarrier 2000. I believe Dans test showed it does its job but does outgas when flamed, hence his recommendation was only on the engine side......thickness would be your call. I dont know any property differences.

I have all the above as well as my entire lower cowl covered by fiberfrax which is covered by aluminum foil (for the lower cowl). Right after shut down, the upper cowl (cool side) might be really hot to touch but the lower cowl is barely warm. The effectiveness of it is simply amazing. I had this my old plane which based on great experience, I added to the new plane.
I used 1/8" for the firewall and inside the tunnel and 1/16" for the cowl.

Strips of fiberfrax to shadow the pipes, under the HD self-stick foil sold by Vans. If the interior of the cowl is finish painted, the foil sticks without any other glue.

Cowl%20Insulation2.jpg

I have the 1/16" Fiberfrax on my cowling. I ended up adding more after the first year of flying. You can see the discoloration from the heat.

Before:
IMG_7365-M.jpg

After:
IMG_7368-M.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I would have put a lot more down there in the initial application during the build. It has held up well and the paint on the exterior is still looking great.

Any thoughts on this product from Grainger for firewall insulation?

I am looking for fiberfrax and can buy from Aircraft Spruce. I also found a 4 foot wide x 5 foot roll at 1/2 thick at Grainger. It is a lot thinker than 1/16 or 1/8 as people are using but it is one piece. I have not looked at firewall forward spacing so I do not know if the added thickness would be a significant issue but the cost is super and the one piece should be better?

Where are people buying the Stainless Sheet and tape?

Grainger link below:
https://www.grainger.com/category/p...trs&refineSearchString=Ceramic+Fiber+Blanket#

Back