What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BAF-4-320 baffle kit

sblack

Well Known Member
I bought this baffle kit for my rv-4. I had planned to i stall the oil cooler on the left rear baffle. However reading the instructions it implies that all of the stiffeners and other mods to support the cooler are "not required on the rv-4". It gives me the impression that the oil cooler is not installed on the aft baffle for 4 for some reason. Is this the case? I can't see it stated explicitly in the instructions. Does it have to go on the firewall instead! Is there not room for it?

The extra materials to mount the cooler are not included in the kit. Mounting the oil cooler behind the #4 cyl is perfectly acceptable and worked well on my 0320 powered 4. If you can locate a section of aluminum U channel it can be cut into 4 pieces, lengths and spacing to fit your oil cooler then riveted to the rear baffle. It makes a nice stand off of the baffle and works well. For me I opened up a 2.25 inch hole behind the #4 cylinder into the opening of the cooler area and had very cool oil temps.
Ryan

Thanks for the reply. I have seen installations that use a stand-off. What is the reason for having the cooler staning off from the baffle? Just to have a stiffer installation? Or is there a clearance issue?

A couple of reasons come to mind. It strengthens the baffle giving extra support for the cooler. It moves the cooler off of the hot cylinder and allows more room for air to flow through the cooler.
Ryan

Thanks for the reply. I have seen installations that use a stand-off. What is the reason for having the cooler staning off from the baffle? Just to have a stiffer installation? Or is there a clearance issue?

If the bottom of the cooler fins are below where the head fins become vertical, then it is difficult to get air down there. You might check the distance from the centerline of the head (casting flash) and the upper cowling. That will give you an idea of clearance. In that case one might put some wrap over the head, set the cooler to the rear and allow cooling virgin cooling air to the entire face of the oil cooler. I am building a 7, but it has the same variables, just different limits.

If the cooler is fastened to the baffles, then the three classic areas would be optionally reinforced. 1. the vertical angle on the LR of the baffles, 2. a tie from the top of the cooler back to the upper screw on #3, and 3. a brace from head or case to the inside flange of the cooler to reduce wagging. Not much extra work.

I installed my oil cooler behind the cylinder as you are contemplating. I scratch built all my baffles because I am running an 0320H2AD which is unique. However, many RV-4s have them installed off the left rear cylinder, and mine is angled slightly down, giving a little more room to get air into the cooler, as well as directing the flow downward. You need to be careful with clearance from the cowl cheek and also reinforce as mentioned. I have a support going from the top of the cooler mount, forward to a case half bolt making the cooler very rigid and preventing cracks in the baffles. I don't have pictures handy, but could email you some if you PM with an email address.

Back