What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV sales

Chappyd

Well Known Member
How is the market for RV's? I know the whole airplane market has been soft since gas went thru the roof, and I know there are a lot of variables involved. I am weighing options and am wondering if there is any feel to the market.

Thanks,

Lots of product on the market. Prices are still below what I was seeing just a few years ago.

It's definitely a buyer's market right now, but not nearly as much as 2 years ago. Prices seem to be creeping back up across the board with all light singles. A lot of the RVs selling lately have been going overseas, primarily South Africa and Australia.

Anything with a (I)O-360 or better engine and a CS prop is definitely going up in price the past several months... and they seem to be selling pretty quick too. I've been saving my pennies and looking for about a year since I sold my Cherokee, but seem to be chasing a target that just keeps staying out of my reach, so I'm about to pull the trigger on buying an RV-6 with an O-320 & Aymar-Demuth wood prop that was built by a friend of mine. I'm probably paying a couple grand too much for it, but the build quality on this one is about the best I've ever seen on any RV, so that makes it worth the extra $$$. With the price of avgas going nowhere but up, I've finally convinced myself that it's probably going to be better to have the smaller engine, go just a little slower, and still be able to afford to feed the fuel tanks and fly more rather than wait another year without a plane of my own trying to save up more money for a plane that's realistically still just a bit out of my financial reach.

I went the same direction of Neil - I found a very attractive deal on an RV-8 with an O-320 and a fixed prop. The plane flies great. It's not as fast as some but the savings on the original purchase and on fuel mean I can flue more.

Update the panel.

....and if you'll equip it with a glass EFIs, with "Lean mode", the savings in gas will pay for the unit in time:)

In my -10, it saves me around $24/hour, running LOP.....$2,400 a year.

Best,

Actually I was thinking more in the mode of selling.

I find myself wondering if I have lost the "spark" for aviation. I'm not flying enough, some of that due to weather, some due to lack of enthusiasm. When I sold my last plane, gas was still "cheap" in '07. The airport was busy all the time. Now it is deserted most of the time. The flight school is gone, gas is expensive and rising, along with everything else. Maybe it's just been a long winter.

I think we all know that the expense of owning an airplane can't be justified by anything other than the enjoyment of it.

I guess to clarify what I was asking- What I am interested in knowing is if the planes that are for sale are moving.

Yep

.........I guess to clarify what I was asking- What I am interested in knowing is if the planes that are for sale are moving.

A friend of mine in South Carolina has his third RV this year! He sold the first one, bought a second and sold it! He has a beautiful -6 that he bought really "right".

He had the money in his pocket, made a lowball offer and negotiated some and finally sealed the deal.

All three were really great airplanes with glass EFIS systems and IFR capable.

The very nice ones move. His second one went to Arizona.

Best,

I agree with Pierre, but airplanes are moving because, from what I see posted, sellers are pricing them to do so. As an example, I am seeing the same type of well appointed, painted, and finished RV7 that three years ago was advertised north of $100k being listed for $75k. I see very few 8's over the $100k mark that use to be pretty common.
Lot's of RV6's $45-55K. Typcially 0320 and fixed pitch, but these same airplanes where $10k north of that a few years ago.
So, I think the reality of what these machines are really worth, in this market, has set in for people.
Price it market correct and you will sell it.

Back