What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel stick specs

fuel stick

I just bought one for the rental 150 I fly. It is a plastic tube. You put it in the tank, put your finger over the top and pull it out and read the quantity. They also have a universal one with just numbers on the side that you calibrate to your tank. I like them and they work really well and are easy to use. just a thought.

I just bought one for the rental 150 I fly. It is a plastic tube. You put it in the tank, put your finger over the top and pull it out and read the quantity. They also have a universal one with just numbers on the side that you calibrate to your tank. I like them and they work really well and are easy to use. just a thought.

John
Can you name that plastic tube, or post a link to it so I can identify and order one?
Regards
John

I bought universal plastic tube stick and calibrated it during final assembly. Interesting thing is I never used it after. With Vans fuel gages there is no need for stick in my opinion.

This is what I have-

This is the numbers I came up with using this
http://www.skygeek.com/univ-11.html

FUEL LEVEL

10.2 = 20 GAL
8.6 = 18 GAL
7.0 = 16 GAL
5.8 = 14 GAL
4.5 = 12 GAL
3.2 = 10 GAL
2.0 = 8 GAL
1.0 = 6 GAL

Standing in front of the wing, I insert the stick in the 12'Oclock position on the tank opening and hold it vertically. My plane is the -7 taildragger. In the plane I have the Dynon D120 EMS , and Vans float senders in the tank. It works very well, and seems to be very accurate.

I have dipped my fuel tanks since I was a student pilot in a Cessna 152. My PA 28-140, and my Mooney as well. ( they had horrible gages) I like to physically check the fuel level prior to departure on every flight.

Here's what I did (although the photo is a bit fuzzy). Never lost or forgotten. Holes are #55, I think. Small enough that when dipped you can look at the holes and fuel stays in the holes by surface tension. I used 0.063 Al to make these, calibrated for each tank. Stamped numbers are gallons. I can't take credit for the idea, as I read it here several years ago.

greg

Back