What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are these two baffling holes used for? nothing?

ao.frog

Well Known Member
We're almost done with the baffles now, and like on our first -7, we again where "baffled by the baffles".
I'm glad we have that behind us! :)

But I'm wondering what the two holes (on on each side) of the baffles are for?
I can't recall those where on the first bafflekit we installed.
That kit was bought from Vans in 2006 and had no holes like these I think?

Anyone know what these are for?
If nothing, guess we can rivet a cover over them?

They make it easy to pass a rachet extension through the baffles so you can easily get a socket on the spark plugs without having to distort the baffles or use a U-joint adapter.

If you got the baffle kit from Vans, you should have a couple of bolts with large washer to close them up. That way you can easily remove them to do the plugs. I seem to recall it being shown either on the plans or in the instructions, maybe some of the B&W photos

The screw and washer didn't completely seal the hole on my baffles and I used the screw,washer and locknut that the plans stated. I took some scrap and made some shims to seal the hole better. I made one piece fit inside the hole and made an oversize piece to fit inside the baffles to seal the hole completely.

Last edited:
I don't fly an rv but do have a lycoming engine and adapted vans O320 baffle kit for my O235. In regard to the access holes for the socket wrench I installed a small piece of .032 aluminum, wide enough to cover the hole and approx 1.5 times the height of the hole and I attached it with a pulled rivet at the bottom. It seals the hole and the single rivet acts as a hinge, so I can push it aside to slip the socket in. Works great.

Back