What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine / Prop Combo Ballpark Costs

I'm continuing to define an estimated cost of a given project. I'm just looking for someone to review my numbers below and tell me what I am leaving out, or need, etc... for the following setups. This is hypothetical on an -8 project with a 180 hp Lycoming. I would plan to do basic loops and rolls so I'm not sure that I would want to pony up the extra $3200 for an inverted system (opinions here are welcome). Right now I'm leaning towards a new engine. I'm just basing the costs off of Van's site and trying to make sure I'd have the costs covered FWF.

Ideally, I'd have a IO-360 with a constant speed prop. As always, cost is a large factor, so looking at the different setups I'd consider.

IO-360 with constant speed prop

Experimental new Lycoming - 26,500
FWF kit - 5,190
Spinner kit - 160
2 blade Hartzell - 11,135
or
2 blade MT - 9,500

I'm unsure what the compact hub kit is on Van's site. Its an extra 6,780. Surely that can't be in addition to the Hartzell cost?

So, for the above, we are looking at $41,350 - $42,985 depending on the MT or Hartzell less the $1,000 Van's discount for buying together = $40,350 - $41,985. Didn't include the compact hub because I'm not sure what that is/does.

O-360 with constant speed prop

Basically subtract 1,900 for no FI, and 215 on the FWF kit from the above and get a range of $38,235 - $39,870 for the carb vs. FI.

O-360 with fixed pitch prop

Experimental Lycoming - 24,600
FWF - 3,700
Spinner kit - 160
Sensenich - 2940
or
Catto - 2500 (est)

So for this, we are looking at $31,400 for the Sensenich minus the Van's discount is $30,400. With the Catto and no discount, you are looking at $30,960. Flying is the rain might be an issue for me, but it seems like the Catto leading edges are now coming with the tape standard making this a non issue?

Looking on Van's site, it looks like the engines are setup for C/S, but F/P can be adapted? So, could I start out with a F/P then convert the same engine to a C/S when finances allowed?

Basically just trying to get a ballpark idea what an engine and prop configuration are going to cost. I mention the new engine, because to me, it seems like if you are going to have new everything else, why not have a new engine (its one of the most important things on an aircraft)? I'm certainly open to ideas and opinions on used and overhauled engines both cost and operationally. I'd also like to hear how happy you are with your setup and what you might change (yes I've searched all the F/P vs. C/S and F/I vs. Carb threads so no need to rehash those fights).

Also, opinions on fuel cost saving with the C/S and F/I on 100 hours a year vs. a F/P and carb. I'd say a good chunk of my flying would be within a 100 mile radius of home, so I'm not sure I'd really capture as much savings here as someone that did a lot of cross country.

Sounds close

You can obviously cut costs a variety of ways.

Take a look at an ECI IO360. You can probably get one of those in the low $20's. The FWF can be reduced by not using the Van's package.

Look at the Whirlwind prop. $7500 (approx) and comes with a spinner. Great performance and light. Wouldn't use and MT.

The nice thing is, you can build your plane and all of the above can wait until you are nearly done. You might find a great deal on an engine. Doing to early will only frustrate you, especially if you aren't buying right away. Prices and technology will change some.

Best advice, build on and wait till later for determining avionics and engine choices.

IO-360, 9to1 comp, AFP injection & Superior cold sump, Emag/Pmag. ~195hp turning a WW200RV prop. total cost 12/09 was under $30000.

RV-7build369.jpg

Doesn't seem that difficult to get to that price - an ECI IO360 kit will run you about $18k, the prop is $8,700, add the mags and AFP injection and you're there with all new parts.

Hartzell price

The hartzell compact Hub prop price is $6780. This is the alum prop.

The Composite 2 blade Hartzell is $11135.

You would only buy one or the other.

I SURE hope I've got this right.:eek:

Bevan

Doesn't seem that difficult to get to that price - an ECI IO360 kit will run you about $18k, the prop is $8,700, add the mags$2400 and AFP injection$2700 and you're there with all new parts.

don't forget if you do the ECI kit you still need some accessories like starter, ALT and I think fuel pump. so you zip to $30K quickly and you still get to build it.

Brian can you elaborate more on how you got this great deal? thx
I went with a "0" SMOH overhauled engine from a shop with a warranty and test run on for 1.5hrs. (gave me a little piece of mind). My engine started as a O-360 A1A, but got credit for removing the mags, carb and sump. My builder let me upgrade to high comp pistons for very small fee. I found someone selling a AFP unit which only have a test run on it & saved $500. I also found my Emag & Pmag combo(<20hrs) and saved about $400. MY engine complete ready to run was $21,800. Prop was American Propeller Group buy ~$7800 custom painted and delivered. American Prop also sold me the governor at a group buy price(even though I missed the deadline).
I realize my engine isn't brand new, but it'll probably outlast me and it's making great power. PM me if you want more info.

ECi O-350 engine kit: $15,500 (Some assembly required, including shipping.)
Miscellaneous Assembly items: $500
Carb: $1,000 (Used for ~250 hours. Look for someone installing fuel injection.)
2 P-mags: $2400
Wiring harness: $222
8 Auto Plug adapters: 114
2 Timing Gears: $368
Fuel Pump: $300 (Overhauled)
SkyTec FlyWeight Starter: $362

Catto Prop: $2017 (72" two bladed prop w/ nickel leading edges.)

Total: $22,283

Last edited:
IO-360 with constant speed prop

Experimental new Lycoming - 26,500
FWF kit - 5,190
Spinner kit - 160
2 blade Hartzell - 11,135
or
2 blade MT - 9,500

I'm unsure what the compact hub kit is on Van's site. Its an extra 6,780. Surely that can't be in addition to the Hartzell cost?

Somebody else caught you on this already...but just to reiterate...

You either buy the 2-bladed *composite* Hartzell for 11K, or the 2-bladed MT for 9.5K, or the 2-bladed *aluminum* Hartzell for 6.7K.

Assume Van's combo engine/prop with the aluminum Hartzell (the "compact hub")...

Experimental IO-360 26.5K
2-blade Hartzell 6.8K
Less combination order discount -1K

plus FF (which you can do as a whole, or by picking and choosing and maybe using other vendors for various things), misc bits and pieces, etc. etc.

ECi O-350 engine kit: $15,500 (Some assembly required, including shipping.)

I take it you have not assembled an ECI engine kit. To say "some assembly required" is a gross understatement. Every part for the engine is packed in a seperate box or bag and it comes just like you would order each engine part individually from ECI. At least that is how my ECI engine kit came. I assembled my ECI engine kit with a very esperienced A&P at a builder assist center and it took the two of us a long weekend to unpack all the boxes and bags and assemble the engine. Would I do it again? For sure. Would I do it again with expieranced help? Not on your life.

That sounded a little high, so I took a look;

IO-360 M1B = 24,600
Hartzell 2 blade metal = 6780
FWF kit (7/7A) = 5240 for a cs prop.

Total is 36,620
minus 1K for the combo puts you at 35,620. Or just over 30K without the FWF kit

I also bought when Van's was running a sun n fun discount, and got that too, which was another 1K off or more. Don't know if they still do those, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I have to say I was very happy with all 3 purchases.

Good luck!

Can be done cheaper

You get that warranty with new stuff, but I have 13000 in my 0 smog 360, 1500 sensenich aluminum prop, used also, and vans fwf kit. It can be quite affordable

Back