What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you have a standby PTT switch?

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Just curious how many of you have installed and/or needed a standby (secondary) PTT switch. I have the Infinity grip upfront (RV-8) and was wondering if I should install a small switch elsewhere in case of failure. Thoughts?

I put a PTT button on right side stick on my 7A. Didn't really think of it as a backup at the time, but now that you mention it...

Very cheap and not much trouble. Why not?

Erich

I have a PTT on both sticks of my RV7. On one occation my left PTT failed and I had to use the one on the right stick. It took me a few seconds of stress to realize that in order for me to talk and listen with that PTT switch I had to plug my headset into the right seat outlet as well. I did that and it worked!

Standby PTT

I installed a co-pilot PTT in the lower right panel so my passenger stick could be removed in my side-by-side 6.

Twice in cold weather my pilot ptt has intermittenly failed to work and I switched my headset to the right side/ptt and carried on. It really @@@@@@ you off when that happens and without an alternative I would have been held up in remote areas.

Still trying to duplicate the problem on the ground...no joy.

My 2 cents.

Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB

Still trying to duplicate the problem on the ground...no joy.
Mike Bauer
RV6 N918MB
Mike, Interesting that I could not determine a cause either and my next flight the left one worked fine and has ever since. Since we have both had a problem I would definitely install a second PTT switch in an RV8 where you can not get to the rear PTT.

Panel PTT

For my 8A, I have a panel PTT switch as a backup for my grip switch and as a primary PTT if I'm on autopilot and don't want to touch the stick.

Good Luck!

Bill Palmer :)

Would an old-fashioned hand mike with a push-button work as an emergency backup:confused:
It could but only if the "mike" phone jack was wired for the PTT switch in the hand held. This probably is rarely done in planes set up for head sets.

Backup PTT (Push Then Talk) on each arm rest. The pilot not flying can do the radio work without touching the stick.

Ditto, Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a second PTT on the upper left corner of my panel. I use it when someone in the back is flying or on autopilot. I have also used it when my stick mounted PTT starting acting up. All fixed now, however I was glad that I had the second switch.

David
RV-8

Yes

Similar to above messages, pilot and passenger jacks and PTTs are mirror imaged at left and right extemes of panel (RV7). Mike jacks are wired for standard button mike usage if desired. Pilot stick PTT is wired parallel to Pilot side panel PTT.

Which is why I have an Otto switch for my PTT. No five cent switch for me.

Even so, I did wire a set of jacks direct to the radio and have them mounted in a little box velcroed up under the panel. A spare genaric PTT resides in my vest (along with PLB, mirror, handheld, etc.). That rig will bypass a failed PTT and/or intercom. If that doesn't work, I have the handheld, but that's really for telling the rescue helicopter to turn left!

I also have a PTT on the passenger stick, but just recently added that so I could attend the NC formation clinic.

ptt

I have thought about a second one mounted on the panel for passenger use and also as a back up ptt. Because, sometimes, no matter how hard i push the trim hat on the stick.....it just wont transmit when I want it to !!:)

Use a quality switch with gold plated contacts.

Gold contacts tend not to corrode like silver or copper - the micro-amp currents these switches see is insufficient to 'blast' through the corrosion.

If you have a double pole switch - wire the two poles in parallel. This will double the contact area.

Doug Gray

Something to think about for side-by-side cockpits... Having a PTT for your passenger is handy. Having it where they can reach it without getting in your way is also handy. That being said, having it on the panel usually means you put it over beside the passenger somewhere, which makes it awkward to hold the stick, throttle, and answer tower's landing clearance on short final when you're using it as a backup.

I suggest an alternative: Place it on the panel near your throttle. Where you can reach it easily without leaving the throttle. It will still be accessible by the co-pilot, and will be more easily accessible to you while flying. Of course, it needs to activate both mic's.

Thanks all for the replies. I will definitetly put another switch up-front....now just have to figure out the best spot.....

I too have a PTT on the passenger side stick - and on one flight simply swapped headsets with my wife. Yes, it was a bad $1 switch. Easy enough to reach the pax stick, but annoying to have to keep switching which hand is flying. Whole issue wasn't enough hassle to make me think of getting an expensive switch - I got another just like the first and it's working fine.

Additionally, my backup radio is a hand-held unit. It has it's own PTT.

I put one on my sticks, but didn't feel comfortable that at some point down the road those wires coming out might fatiuge and fail. I put a pushbutton on the panel where I can hit it with my thumb while my hand is on the throttle.
I also put a back up elevator trim next to that.

What switch?

The RV7 I bought doesn't have any PTT for the right seat, so I'm curious what switch (as in specific part number) you guys used for the panel mount switch? I definitely need one as it was pretty annoying when flying across the country not to be able to divide up the radio work with my co-pilot.

Thanks,

I have thought about a second one mounted on the panel for passenger use and also as a back up ptt. Because, sometimes, no matter how hard i push the trim hat on the stick.....it just wont transmit when I want it to !!:)

Gary, Gary, Gary...I'll bet pushing the coolie hat nice and hard makes all the stuff in your baggage compartment fly up nicely though! ;) The good thing about it not transmitting when you do that is...they can't hear you scream! :D

I thought about a secondary pax PTT, on or near the side rail, so the pax would keep his/her hand off the stick (when not flying), and fingers off the panel. Small momentary push button or momentary toggle (even a sub-mini toggle) would do the trick. For a backup pilot PTT, same thing on the other side would work I guess...or by the throttle.

Are there a lot of PTT failures happening? Not poo-pooin' the idea...just wunderin'.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Back