What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 oil pressure on Dynon reads 49psi before start?

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Tomorrow I am going to do some troubleshooting to figure out why the oil pressure shows 49 psi prior to starting the engine. I suspect it is a failed oil pressure sensor.

I have reviewed SI 912-020R2 which explains a change in the oil pressure sensor part no. 956413 (new part) for engines with S/N 5,651,797 and higher. My engine should have the new oil pressure sensor which operates on basis of current variation instead of the resistance variation. I have not verified this. Nevertheless, I am planning to power up the avionics then disconnect the wire to the sensor . If the gauge still reads 49 psi I figure the sensor is faulty.

Wondering if any else has experienced this situation and has any other advice on troubleshooting this problem.

problem solving

I've got experience with only the resistive type senders (VDO) and if by chance your engine has one of these then it can be tested with an ohm meter. Resistance between the insulated terminal and the engine casing should be close to zero when the engine is not running (and with the lead disconnected).
The other logical area to check is the wiring runs, including any plug connections, back through the firewall and then to the Dynon EMS.
I think it would be safer for the electronics if you disconnect and secure the sender wire with the Dynon powered OFF. If the gauge still reads 49 psi after, then the problem is probably not the sensor, I would expect?

Last edited:
Back