What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TailbeaconX Mode ES Txsponder with ADSB out

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
uAvionix has a new TailbeaconX Mode ES Transponder with ADSB out that mounts in the tail strobe position. Has a mode S transponder and GPS built in. Uses either GRT interface or optional head for access of transponder fx . May have been out for a while but I have just noticed it. I'm not in the market but wondered if anyone has installed. Would be interested in any pilot reports. It does take innovation to the next step.
https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/

Very interested in following the responses on this, as I have recently been researching the TailbeaconX, along with the AV-30 EFIS control head. The integration and simplicity appeal to me.

Thanks for posting the question, Dennis!

Ryan

uAvionix has a new TailbeaconX Mode ES Transponder with ADSB out that mounts in the tail strobe position. Has a mode S transponder and GPS built in. Uses either GRT interface or optional head for access of transponder fx . May have been out for a while but I have just noticed it. I'm not in the market but wondered if anyone has installed. Would be interested in any pilot reports. It does take innovation to the next step.
https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/

Very important to note what I bolded from your comment. This replaces your strobe but doesn't provide a strobe itself, only a position light. If your wingtip strobes aren't visible from behind, you will need to provision a strobe somewhere else on the tail to be night legal.

Tailbeacon X

I purchased the tailbeacon X and AV30E for my RV6A and quite like the simplicity of the install. Hoping that it will eventually be compatible with the Dynon Skyview or G3X Touch as I’d like to revamp my whole panel.

I purchased the tailbeacon X and AV30E for my RV6A and quite like the simplicity of the install. Hoping that it will eventually be compatible with the Dynon Skyview or G3X Touch as I’d like to revamp my whole panel.

Welcome to VAF!

I was a TailbeaconX beta-tester. I also found the install very easy, even factoring in the running of a new wire to my rudder. I was sent a simple control head for it, but they decided not to sell that as an option... So you either need one of their AV-20 or -30 units, or an EFIS, to drive it. I was told it talks the Sandia protocol over the wiring, so anything that can drive that should do it.

Back