What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245 Audio panel question

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I sent the following info to the G3 experts but the Forum is also a good place for answers:

I have a GMA 245 Bluetooth audio panel in my RV-8 and use it frequently to pair with my Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera. This combination works great with crystal clear audio. When not using the camera I frequently listen to music while flying. During my panel upgrade I installed a small audio jack to plug into my IPhone to save power from the drain of the battery while using bluetooth.

The music input jack worked perfectly until the first time I used Bluetooth. Now it seems to be stuck in Bluetooth mode and I can’t get any music through the audio jack. I did see that the manual says it can use only one external music input at a time so that makes sense that BT is preventing me from using the audio jack.

How do I turn off/disable Bluetooth on the GMA 245 so my music jack will work?

Oly Olson

GMA245

Awhile ago there was a problem with some of the GMA245’s in bluetooth. This problem was not what you are experiencing. The folks at Garmin were notified and with the help of this forum, they found the problem and with a software update, fixed the problem.

Here is the link to the current GMA245 update.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01318-01

Now, your problem might not be in the software, but if you bought the unit more than a few months ago, you might consider updating it anyway as there was a few other minor updates.

The previous poster has a point, check the music select button and verify that you are indeed on the proper input. That might be all you need to do.

Good luck, and if it persists, post another post, or wait until Garmin gets back to you.

Brian

GMA 245

Thanks to the two Brian’s I think I know what to try. I was looking in the Virb camera manual when the audio panel manual has it clearly spelled out. Thanks guys.

0CD11EFF-0015-4AFF-93FC-3377370B0B78.png

I sent the following info to the G3 experts but the Forum is also a good place for answers:

I have a GMA 245 Bluetooth audio panel in my RV-8 and use it frequently to pair with my Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera. This combination works great with crystal clear audio. When not using the camera I frequently listen to music while flying. During my panel upgrade I installed a small audio jack to plug into my IPhone to save power from the drain of the battery while using bluetooth.

The music input jack worked perfectly until the first time I used Bluetooth. Now it seems to be stuck in Bluetooth mode and I can’t get any music through the audio jack. I did see that the manual says it can use only one external music input at a time so that makes sense that BT is preventing me from using the audio jack.

How do I turn off/disable Bluetooth on the GMA 245 so my music jack will work?

Oly Olson

Oly,

There is no reason to turn off/disable Bluetooth on the GMA 245 when using one of the 2 wired music inputs on the GMA 245.

As Brian said, just use the music select on the GMA 245 to select the wired input and make sure the Music is enabled and the music volume is turned up.

GMA 245 Music Selection.png

I use a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera connected to the GMA 245 via Bluetooth on every flight while listening to SXM music coming into the GMA 245 on one of the two wired music inputs. The music coming in on the wired input is recorded by the Virb along with all the other cockpit audio.

Steve

GMA 245 problem resolved

As the ref says in sports, “after further review the call is reversed”. There was no real issue with the GMA 245 or the Garmin VIRB or my IPhone. I was able to turn off the Bluetooth and turn it back on as per the manual. After further review the problem turned out to be a wire that had pulled off the back of the music jack. Plugged in the IPhone, turned on the music, reached behind the panel and startled gently wiggling the music jack wiring and bingo-

I do recall at one point I was listening to music through the aux jack and recording cockpit audio via Bluetooth onto the Garmin VIRB. Thanks to those that steered me in the right direction.

Audio panel/music input

Follow up to my other posts- I got the new audio jack installed and the music works great with the cord by pushing to highlight the “music” button on the audio panel. I did a test to make sure I can do all the stuff I used to. With the music jack plugged in I get music through the audio panel while simultaneously connecting a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 via Bluetooth the GMA 245 Audio panel. When I reviewed the video I confirmed that the music and all the cockpit audio is recorded. As they say on Wheeler Dealers- “Job done”.

Here’s the audio jack I used- super simple and no soldering. Wiring screws into the music jack. Solid white wire into “T”, red stripe wire on “R” and blue stripe wire on “S”.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077XPSKQD?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last edited:
Back