What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim with dynon ap panel

Latech15

Well Known Member
I?ve been having issues with my dynon AP panel lately. It is out and on its way back to dynon for repairs, but it has me thinking I might want to make a change. The trim servos run through the AP panel to allow it to auto trim when the AP is engaged. The issue is that when the AP panel is not working, you have no trim control. Has anybody installed a relay of some type that allows you to still have trim control if the AP panel (not the AP) fails?

During this failure, I can still activate and control the AP from the skyview screen, but it is constantly calling for a trim input that I can?t put in with the failed AP button panel.

Yep, this just happened to me as well. In my case, I have a VPX Pro which has it's own trim controller and when I installed the AP panel, I disconnected the VPX trim controller and wired everything up to the AP panel. It quit on me and I found myself in the same situation. I installed a 4 pole, double throw switch which allows me to use the VPX as a backup trim controller. Essentially, I just switch all four connections (2 for servo and 2 for up and down trim switch) from the VPX to the Dynon or back. It works perfectly. The servo doesn't know who's controlling it and it doesn't matter. I got the 4PDT switch off of Amazon for about $6.00. Here's the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJ93UCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And by the way, assuming your failure is the same as mine was, Dynon didn't charge me anything to fix it. It's a known problem

Yep. I just got shipment notification that it is on its way back at no charge. That?s great and all, but I wish I had known about it when I was sending in my skyview. I would have shipped them together and only been down for one repair instead of two weeks each.

Yep. I just got shipment notification that it is on its way back at no charge. That?s great and all, but I wish I had known about it when I was sending in my skyview. I would have shipped them together and only been down for one repair instead of two weeks each.

Well, that sucks...what was wrong with your SV display?

I built mine with manual trim because most every plane I have flown with electric trim has had motor or wire fail.

The SkyView will tell you to trim up or down, if it is out of trim. Not a big deal.

Back