What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Line Braided vs hard Al Valve to Filter

Drippy

Well Known Member
Guys,

While conducting my annual I found a pretty scary situation. The main fuel line from my original style fuel selector down to the fuel filter had been twisted and deformed after the 90 degree turn - short leg closest to the filter.

No splitting but I could see the fatigue in the Al and the material was deformed into a 30 degree spiral.

I suspect that I did this during my last annual by over tightening the NPT fitting on the back of the filter due to the direction of the spiral - righty tighty:-(.

Sorry - no photo my work computer doesn't allow me to go to Tinypics or any of those type sites.

The question is has anyone used a braided fuel line in this location. I purchased some high quality fuel line and fittings from JEGS to make the run from my tanks to a second set of fuel filters I added under the seats and haven't had any issues but I am concerned with the tight 90 degree turn on this short 7 inch line.

Any one have any experience with a braided line in this location or a similar application?

Thanks

Mike

Do it all the time.
Your JEGS hose---teflon or rubber liner? If rubber, be sure to inspect for discolored deposits in the down stream lines---since you probably dont have a downstream filter. KNOWN issue with imposter rubber hoses and aviation fuel.

Tom

When it comes to fluid lines just spend a little extra. Nobody beats Tom. I?m on my second plane using TS flighlines

Fuel lines

Just finished up today installing a new AFP fuel boost pump in an older RV-8. Used Tom's TS Flightline flex hoses from fuel selector to filter, from the filter to the boost pump, and then on to firewall fitting. Tom worked with me to get everything perfect and it all installed beautifully. He also did a full firewall forward set of his new integral firesleeve hoses and they are a work of art. Made it easy, easy, easy.

P.S. you will NEVER find a guy more enjoyable or professional tgan Tom.

Thanks for the Feedback

My braided fuel lines are rubber - I have the same lines running from my tanks and they haven't caused any issues for the last 3 year- no break down noted and nothing in the extra filters I added - one for each tank under the seats - but I understand that doesn't guarantee future performance.

I do actually have the main fuel filter down stream of the line I am considering changing to rubber braided - the line goes from the fuel select valve to the front of the filter.

I made two lines last night - one Al one one with the braided line - why I don't know just wanted to - I guess I miss building:).

I will continue to do a little more internet research and plan to install something Saturday am.

Thank for the input to date.

Mike---

Okay----
This was sent to us off a supposed FLYING Aircraft---dont think so. As you can see it didnt take any pressure, just flow to get it to bleed through the braid. Liner was obviously compromised by fuel. Owner stated he didnt know where it was leaking---thought it was the hose end.
https://youtu.be/uu__Wt0ImLk

EYE OPENER-- Sorry I posted this as a public serive to all that want to use rubber lines hoses--if you do, CHANGE THEM OFTEN!

Tom and Steve

Tom and I are always working on refining our products based on customer feedback. For the RV-10 one of our projects is going back and creating install manuals for some of the areas that we receive questions about.

We just redid our RV-10 Stock AFP Cabin Fuel manual to provide more detailed information on how the fuel line components mount in the center tunnel to give a good fit.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10products.html

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV10 AFP STOCK FUEL.pdf

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Tom or I.

Also, we wanted to extend a huge thank you to the builders that worked with us to get us updated pictures and who provided install feedback to make these kits go together easier.

Happy building!
Steve

Simple !!! Just call TOM ....ALL problems solved.

Thank you!!!!! We really truly enjoy doing this. Tom and I don't believe that "good is good enough." That's why we are always working to improve on these kits and to continuously update and create new documentation to make them easier to install!!!!

Back