What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F1 brakes

sailvi767

Well Known Member
Want to start handling brake changes on our own. Our F1 is a early thirties serial number kit. I was going to order stock Cleveland RV pads but now understand the Rocket kits shipped with bigger brakes. Anyone offhand know the type brake and pad sizes?

I have kit #31 (or some combination of early kits). The kit came with MATCO wheels and brakes. Mark F. sold me a set of Grove 56M with 066-111 pads. I know a number of other builders switched to Grove.
Mark Swaney

Thanks, I will need to go pull the pants I suspect and verify what we have before ordering. This was Jim Winings aircraft if anyone happens to remember.

#34 has Cleveland brakes as Jim did not like the Matco brakes available at the time and as I recall had a set of Cleveland brakes on hand. Subsequently the F1 kits at some point came with Grove master cylinders, wheels and dual piston brakes which is what I have on mine.

#34 has Cleveland brakes as Jim did not like the Matco brakes available at the time and as I recall had a set of Cleveland brakes on hand. Subsequently the F1 kits at some point came with Grove master cylinders, wheels and dual piston brakes which is what I have on mine.

Thank you very much! That helps, your elevator is still a work of art and no cracks with the recent SB! Now the question is would they be 66-105 or 66-106 pads.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! That helps, your elevator is still a work of art and no cracks with the recent SB! Now the question is would they be 66-105 or 66-106 pads.

Thanks yes I built the elevators with .025 skins for a number of reasons. Can't help you with the pad size, you will have to look and see if they are two rivets or three on the pads. Only way to tell is to pull one apart.

I''ve worked on F-1s with Matco brakes & cursed at them because the rotor always warped (pilot induced I assume).
Also have worked on both F-1 & Harmons with Cleveland type brakes, they had thicker rotors than stock Vans but they had the 66-106 type pads (3 rivet type).

Back