What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil door hardware

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
using original oil door hardware?

For those flying with the original oil door hardware, are you satisfied? I'm at the point of installing the door in to cowl and I'm debating which way to go. Changes always take time and some are worth it. I think I would like to go with flush mount hardware, but not sure I want to go thru the process. Also wondering if the spring hinge is worth it or not.

Last edited:
Works fine

It needs no tool to open, causes no problem and won’t create ‘project delay".

Bill

I replaced Van's supplied "winged" sky bolts with flush phillips. Used the stock hinge. Bolts are snugged enough to add enough drag to the door to keep it open.

Making a change to flush door latches and/or a spring hinge is not a huge deal and doesn’t take much time. Either way works, but if you think someday you might wish you had, just do it. :rolleyes:

I used flush Hartwell latches. No spring is required as the hinge locknuts can be adjusted for suitable friction. Very happy with the result (I hate those winged latches).

Cessna Not So Bad

Well, Cessna did get something right. i am going to the Cessna style oil door. Seems like the best solution and is well proven.

McMaster Supplied Option

I went with A on this page, flown for a year on my RV7, very happy with it:
https://www.mcmaster.com/drawer-locks/miniature-slotted-drive-cam-locks/

I use it on an oil door I made out of .063 with a pair of concealed hinges that McMaster no longer sells unfortunately. For the strike it falls between two rivet tails on the .063 door frame. Very secure.

I use a Kershaw PT1 to operate it, handy for fuel caps as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-8800X-Multifunction-Stainless-Screwdriver/dp/B06VTNWQYR

George

Hate the Van's method but I did it for times sake. Regret it. I will change it at some point but...

Thats my excuse

Hate the Van's method but I did it for times sake. Regret it. I will change it at some point but...

So that's my excuse why I am so far behind you on the build. We started about the same time, but you blew right past with nary a wave. So my excuse is I am doing all these things that you wish you had done... it is not true, of course, but makes me feel a little better.

Is the 14 oil door hinge different than earlier models? My door hinge is flush and I went with flush sky bolt fasteners.

This is the best picture I have.

Attachments

• Resized_20220315_143644.JPEG
    Resized_20220315_143644.JPEG
    724.7 KB · Views: 235
So that's my excuse why I am so far behind you on the build. We started about the same time, but you blew right past with nary a wave. So my excuse is I am doing all these things that you wish you had done... it is not true, of course, but makes me feel a little better.

haha almost 350 hours and counting :D

Is the 14 oil door hinge different than earlier models? My door hinge is flush and I went with flush sky bolt fasteners.

This is the best picture I have.

Looks like the hinge is different now but I was more talking about the wing nut looking hand screws. The hinge I don't mind (although it has been improved it looks like). Wish I would have done something flush instead of the god awful wing nut things.

Cessna for Me

Simple. No tools needed. Springs open, stays there.

Oil Door Complete sans Paint.jpg

I can send you a play by play via email if you want to go this route.

Since there are bolts to tighten to adjust the hinge tension I am assuming the RV-14 hinge is a "hidden" hinge, unlike the RV-7 hinge which, is a short piece of the same hinge used everywhere else on the plane. What is the part number for the RV-14 hinge?

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks everyone for your input. I had been researching the different options that people went with. I was more interested to see if you had the stock setup and if you either were fine with it or hated it. Looks like a mixed bag. I am favoring the spring latch so that it will stay open and make it easier to pull the piano hinge pin. Still undecided on the rest, but appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Jeff

Simple. No tools needed. Springs open, stays there.

View attachment 36087

Is anybody flying an RV-14 with a single flush latch like the one Rockitdoc shows above, and if so, does the oil door stay tightly closed in flight? I used this type of latch on my RV-8A, but the stock oil door on that model is fiberglass and it was not rigid enough so it would pucker out on the sides and corners in flight. I think the oil door on the 14 is a bit beefier and will probably be fine, but curious if anyone can confirm. The advantage of the ugly protruding latches that Vans includes is that they firmly pin both of the lower corners in place so even a fairly lightweight flimsy door will stay tightly closed using that hardware. The single flush latch requires a more rigid door to keep the corners and sides for puckering out in flight.

Cessna Latch on Metal -14 Door

I reinforced the lip on the fiberglass where the Cessna latch contacts when closed to make sure the latch doesn't wear the lip away.

Oil Door Latch Below.jpg

But, the shape of the -14 oil door is not the same as the Cessna, and consequently, the corners may be more susceptible to lifting under pressure.

Oil Door Cessna Mockup 2.jpg

Oil Door w:Button.jpg

I considered using two push button latches.
But, after querying other builders at least one said the door doesn't lift in flight. We shall see.

If it does lift in the corners, I will focus my attention on bogeys outside and try to ignore it. :D

I used 2 flush latches and replaced the kit oil door with an aluminum door. Easy to cut to size and rigid. :cool:

Attachments

• 8CC08CEE-2D16-4513-A900-FD72510150EE.jpg
    8CC08CEE-2D16-4513-A900-FD72510150EE.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 266B11F3-85D0-46BA-A2ED-375C9F6D979E.jpg
    266B11F3-85D0-46BA-A2ED-375C9F6D979E.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Did the early 14 kits not come with an aluminum door? Mine did.

I may have misspoken - I replaced the kit door with a different aluminum door to be able to position the flush latches properly. My door was predrilled for the kit latches. I also used thicker aluminum.

Last edited:
If you're still polling, I have the traditional wing-type fasteners and like them just fine, 22 years and counting.

Last edited:
Here's what I did on my -8. Worked great. Spring loaded hinge so it popped open and stayed there. Did not lift in flight.

PA040017.JPG

Cessna

Cessna Latch and Hidden Oil Door Hinge.
I used the portion cut out as reinforcement to stiffen the door. It's bonded to the door. Also reinforced the area around the opening with aluminum to support the hinge.

20221028_160303.jpg

Cessna Latch and Hidden Oil Door Hinge.
I used the portion cut out as reinforcement to stiffen the door. It's bonded to the door. Also reinforced the area around the opening with aluminum to support the hinge.

View attachment 36338

Larry,

Better sand that gloss so you dont blind a United flight crew looking down from 36k.

Call me cheap but I really don’t want to buy 2 latches. I really liked the look of the rounded door and here is what came out.

I needed a break from what I was working on and this has to be done sometime.

Will go ahead and glass in the Vans door which serves as the door frame while I’m waiting on ACS for the Cessna latch and hidden hinge. Door will need a final bit of fitting once the hinge installed.

Attachments

• 14105CB4-009D-41BB-A1EF-0EF1D4F7E78E.jpg
    14105CB4-009D-41BB-A1EF-0EF1D4F7E78E.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 9B4C961A-0B1A-4368-9A3A-E906D391274B.jpg
    9B4C961A-0B1A-4368-9A3A-E906D391274B.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Back