What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Construction Question

macrafic

Well Known Member
Since I've been working on the fuselage, I've noticed that the plans are more abbreviated; sometimes it is difficult to know when to rivet parts together. Case in point. On the center section bulkhead, the instructions do not say to rivet the F-704G vertical bar to the rear bulkhead. Yet, I don't see a reason this shouldn't be done at this time.

For those of you who are much further than I am, can you verify that it is OK to rivet it now?

Since I've been working on the fuselage, I've noticed that the plans are more abbreviated; sometimes it is difficult to know when to rivet parts together. Case in point. On the center section bulkhead, the instructions do not say to rivet the F-704G vertical bar to the rear bulkhead. Yet, I don't see a reason this shouldn't be done at this time.

For those of you who are much further than I am, can you verify that it is OK to rivet it now?

I did. You are right about the instructions becoming more vauge as you move ahead, it appears that way to me as well. I find that if you are not supposed to, Van's is pretty good about giving you that info somewhere. If I miss something, well it won't be the first rivet I drilled out :)

as for the 704G, you are to wait till the top skins are riveted in place. If not, yoiu will not be able to buck the rivets to the longeron behind the 704G.

:eek:<-----Me wishing I had asked this question.................sigh.

I do remember seeing in there that Van said not to rivet the 704H skins in place, as they were to be riveted later with the side fuse skins. Never occured to me that the 704G would be in the way later. A quick look proves Alton is right, never gonna get a bar in there.....

How's that song go....One step forward, two steps back..........:(

F-704G rivet driving access

Ok guys, so I'm currently assembling the center section. I have installed the seat ribs on F-704 and realized that I have not yet installed the F-704D on both sides or the F-704G bars. I figure I should install the F-704D with the AD4 rivets now, however if I don't install the F-704G at this stage because it may not allow me adequate access to side components for bucking, how am I going to be able to access the forward side of F-704G to drive these flush rivets?
I can't get over how poorly detailed and sequenced these center section instructions are.
Confused.
Tom.

Last edited:
Flush rivets

Ok guys, so I'm currently assembling the center section. I have installed the seat ribs on F-704 and realized that I have not yet installed the F-704D on both sides or the F-704G bars. I figure I should install the F-704D with the AD4 rivets now, however if I don't install the F-704G at this stage because it may not allow me adequate access to side components for bucking, how am I going to be able to access the forward side of F-704G to drive these flush rivets.
I can't get over how poorly detailed and sequenced these center section instructions are.
Confused.
Tom.

When you rivet 704D, make sure there's no interference issue with the wing bolts. Cleko the plate on and make sure the close tolerance bolts will go in. No way to correct it later.
The flush side is inside between the two center sections. Plenty of room for a tungsten bar. At least there was for me.

Last edited:
as for the 704G, you are to wait till the top skins are riveted in place. If not, yoiu will not be able to buck the rivets to the longeron behind the 704G.

Thanks Larry. I made sure I had the bolts in place before I clecoed and riveted the F-704D to the F-704 center section. I guess I'm still mildly confused per the statement from Alton, in that I don't see a longeron anywhere near this F-704G. Looking at the plans, the only conflict I see is the inability to buck the rivets that join the F-770 side skin to F-704H center section side plate.

On page 8-10 it says the following:
'Pre-rivet' the F-704H Center Section Side Plate (DWG 11) to the F-770 skin. A few key rivets are set at this time,
because they will be very difficult to reach when the skin is installed on the fuselage. These rivets are right next to
the spar entry cut-out. Set the upper five rivets forward of the spar cut-out, leaving the lowest one open ... it will be
riveted when the skin goes on. Set the six rivets aft of the spar cut-out.

Thus I take from this that if you rivet that side skin to the F-704H before you finally rivet on the side skin, then access shouldn't be a problem. So I guess I'm still wondering why I wouldn't rivet on those F-704G bars now?

I also had a look at a number of other websites, and many seem to already have the F-704G installed at an early stage.

http://www.704ch.com/2010/09/center-section-continued-progress.html
http://www.jasonbeaver.com/rv7/2010/02/rejoined-center-section.html
https://rv-7construction.com/2012/04/15/center-fuselage-bottom-skin-41512/

Still mildly confused, but feeling slightly better.

Tom.

It's been 9 or more years for me. I went back and looked at the plans.
I have no idea where the 704G came from. My original post concerned 705G, drawing 20. Note 5 says not to rivet until side skins are on.
F705G is for tip-ups only and has nothing to do with the center section.

Last edited:
I'm just at the point in the sequence where I've finished the F-704 bulkhead assembly. I went ahead and installed the F-704G bars since I couldn't see a reason not to, but I didn't see it in the instructions either.

I've gotten part way through the drilling of the center fuselage so I'm a little behind where you are. Not quite ready to bolt/rivet things together.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and put the F-704G in place now.
This may be something I come to regret, but I'll let you know. I'm just concerned about driving the rivets later on the F-704G given that the flush side will be on the inside.
I guess Alton's comments regarding the longeron now make sense.

T.

I’m at this point. I don’t see a rivet call out for arranging the 704G at all. I’m assuming it’s a #30 hole though.

It's there. Drawing 11, "Aft Center Section Bulkhead Assembly Rear View".

It calls out AN426AD4-14 rivets for the F-704G.

Back