What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

can somebody solve this parts inventory mystery?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Way back when I was inventorying the Fuselage kit, I got to bag 1968-1, which has a couple of allen head smooth shank specialty bolts.

"Those look like brake parts" says I.
"Weird that they came with the fuselage" says I.

Throughout the fuselage build, I was keeping an eye out for where those might go with no joy.

Today I'm looking at Drawing C-2 and discover they're the 5/16-20X1 1/2 screw called out on that drawing to secure the U- 403 Brake Flange to the axle.

All good so far, but they're coarse thread, so I go digging through bags and boxes looking for the nuts and discover bag 914-3 which is inside another bag that contains the axle spacers. It contains the nuts, but also appropriate washers, and two more 5/16-20X1 1/2

What the heck?

Bag 914-3 is clearly all the hardware for this particular operation, so were the screws out of bag 1968-1 supposed to go?

There isn't much fuselage left to put together at this point, so I can't imagine where I might need them. This leads me to the uncomfortable though that I might have missed the hardware callout for them somewhere previously.

Does anybody have any idea what the application might be for these?

Attachments

• IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7400.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Ditto

I received two sets (four total) of the socket head 5/16-20 1-1/2 screws with 1/4" coarse threaded nuts. Don't know why or how...

DWG C2 is the only place I could find a call out for them.

Yes, that's what they are. But you only need one per axle.

My question is why did I get two with the fuselage kit and two more with the finish kit. What are the two that were in bag 1968-1 from the fuselage kit intended for?

About to do my wheels. Thanks for letting me know what bolts to use.

As an aside - the stack up shown in View F-F on DWG C2 isn't quite right. For best results, add another AN960-516L under the socket head or between the AN960-516 and the flange (increase the distance between the socket head and the nut by .032")

In some (many) installations, the nut will bottom out on the steel bolt shank before correct torque is achieved on the bolt/brake flange collar assembly. This allows the wheel pant to wiggle, even though you think you torqued everything down.

Cheers!

As an aside - the stack up shown in View F-F on DWG C2 isn't quite right. For best results, add another AN960-516L under the socket head or between the AN960-516 and the flange (increase the distance between the socket head and the nut by .032")

In some (many) installations, the nut will bottom out on the steel bolt shank before correct torque is achieved on the bolt/brake flange collar assembly. This allows the wheel pant to wiggle, even though you think you torqued everything down.

Cheers!

Thats good info- thanks for sharing. The stackup called out already has 3 washers incorporated, 1 under the head and two under the nut. I started with the left side and I have it snugged down but not torqued yet. Everything seems correct, but I'll take a look at it with a critical eye tomorrow before I crank it down and start on the rights side.

Back