What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero LEDs an easy install

Just finished installing the AERO LED model # 01-1100-12 which is the combo of position lights and strobe for the wingtips. I previously had the Whelen lights and they served me well for 22+ years but it was time to upgrade.

The best part of the installation is that you can use the old wiring which is a shielded cable that contains red, black and clear/white wires plus the ground shield along with a separate power wire for the position lights from the instrument panel switch.

Here is what I did to utilize the old strobe cable to match the Aero LED wiring.

1. Position light = separate power wire from instrument panel goes to red lead and black to ground either locally at the wing tip or the black wire in strobe cable provided it is grounded to airframe at the other end.
2. Strobe light = red lead in cable from the power pack goes to yellow strobe wire. White or clear wire goes to green sync wire and black goes to aircraft ground.

When you remove the power pack, cut the existing cables (be sure to leave enough slack) for both left and right wing lights. Strip the wire ends and connect the two red cable wires together along with the power lead to the power pack and solder or crimp the three together and shrink wrap them to insulate them from grounding. This is the connection that goes to the yellow wire on the Aero LED's. Next take the white/clear wires in the cable and solder or crimp them together and place shrink wrap over them to prevent grounding or shorting too. Next remove the Whelen power supply and your done and an added benefit is you save at least a couple of pounds of weight.

Mounting of the Aero LED's couldn't be easier. The adapter plate fit perfectly and the mounting of the light itself is clever (good ol' CNC machines). You will be impressed with how bright they are and no more "Woup Woup" of the strobe in your headset.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    597.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    622.5 KB · Views: 176
Back