What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A around Chicago area

liuk

Hello everyone, new comer here. I recently came across a very nice looking RV-6A for sale. I did a bit of research and felt it is the perfect aircraft for my mission: I currently have a PPL with an instrument rating, just want to fly to places, have not kids and wife does not like flying. I don't really have the skills and time to build one from scratch, so buying seems to be the best option.

So far all my hours are in C172s and C177s, so I have no idea whether I would like or get used to a low-wing plus stick instead of yoke. Before I get serious with the purchase, it would be really nice if I could take a close look and do some kind of discovery flight in a RV-6A. Do you know if there is any place within 100-200 mile radius of Chicago where I can do that? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I can't help you with the flight (unless you end up down in Texas), but I think you will love it. Once you fly a stick, you will hate the yoke.

Hello everyone, new comer here. I recently came across a very nice looking RV-6A for sale. I did a bit of research and felt it is the perfect aircraft for my mission: I currently have a PPL with an instrument rating, just want to fly to places, have not kids and wife does not like flying. I don't really have the skills and time to build one from scratch, so buying seems to be the best option.

So far all my hours are in C172s and C177s, so I have no idea whether I would like or get used to a low-wing plus stick instead of yoke. Before I get serious with the purchase, it would be really nice if I could take a close look and do some kind of discovery flight in a RV-6A. Do you know if there is any place within 100-200 mile radius of Chicago where I can do that? Thanks a lot!

Will send PM with details. You are welcome to look at mine and fly with me. I am at 06C

Larry

Hello all, just an update and more questions :)

Today Larry @lr172 very nicely showed me his RV-6A (and his RV-10 as a bonus). Although we weren't able to fly today, I feel I'm already sold on the idea of getting a RV-6A. So here comes the next round of questions:

1. could you recommend a good pre-buy person preferably in the vicinity (100 - 200 miles) of Chicago area? The aircraft I have in mind is currently out-of-annual. So it would be ideal if the pre-buy person could also do an annual inspection.
2. if everything goes really well, I would also appreciate if you could recommend some CFI near me for the transition training.

I would reach out to Steve Flattum. When I lived in Chicago, he did my transition training and signed me off. Not sure if he is an A&P but you won't find a better pilot to get you comfortably flying the 6a. PM me and I can get you his number.

I would reach out to Steve Flattum. When I lived in Chicago, he did my transition training and signed me off. Not sure if he is an A&P but you won't find a better pilot to get you comfortably flying the 6a. PM me and I can get you his number.

Thanks John! Larry recommended Steve as well. I found Steve's contact on VAF and we got everything sorted out.

Back