What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cork, rubber or just proseal tank gaskets??

I used the NAS dome platenuts and prosealed around them inside the tank. There was no interference problem with the fuel pickup screen on mine. A friend of mine told me to clean the sender and tank surfaces and use the supplied cork gaskets with no sealant at all. I tried that and it's been 20 years and 1800 hours without a hint of leakage. I also used NAS1801 screws to mount the senders because they have a hex head. The last thing I want to do is remove a tank to take a sender out. I can have each of mine out in 10 minutes.

Has anyone tried Just Aviation Permatex by itself (no gasket)?

As a 5 decade fan of #3, it would not work. The plates are too flimsy for sealing, and #3 never really gets hard. If it were an engine case, yes. Proseal is excellent, maybe the best.

Lots of opinions on different ways to seal the sending units so I ran it by my AP-IA. His opinion is that if the sending units come with a rubber gasket then use it. That's the way the new C-172s seal their sending units at the wing root, similar to the RV. Cessna doesn't use any sealant on these gaskets and they last for years.

The one caution he expressed was to NOT over-tighten the 8/32 screws.

-Marc

Back