What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any really TALL pilots?

rileyspoon

Ok, I admit it is a little late now since I've already completed the tail section, but until a week ago I had not been able to find an RV-12iS to try on. I'm 6'5" so it was a little tight. Unfortunately, the canopy was not installed so I couldn't tell if my head would actually clear it. As you can see from the photo it looks like I may have a problem with room at the top.

Wondering if there are any tall pilots out there that can share how they manage the room. From what I see in the plans, there isn't any option to move the rudder pedals out or the seat back. Suppose I could investigate the possibility of having a custom canopy made that has a slightly higher bubble but would that change the aerodynamics if the height were increased by 2 inches or so?

Riley Spoon
Winston-Salem
Eventual home 8A7
RV-12iS Started 11/3/20

Attachments

• 8630.jpg
    8630.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 275
6'5" tall pilot here, with a built RV-12 Legacy model.

Suggestion is to try various seat cushions, like a lawn chair pad, underneath you after your canopy is installed and completed, note the thickness needed for the back and the cushion under you to fit, with headphone model on, and then tell Flight Designs to build it thinner than standard, to your specifications.

I run about 2.5" underneath my seat W/O the wedge pad, to fit, and maybe only an inch for the back rest portion.

Hope you are in good shape, because you will be pushing / pulling yourself out of a "tub" with upper body arm strength getting in and out of the cockpit, since you now sit "deeper" in it.

Last edited:
Also the back of the seat has a bar mounted on a hinge, I push that out of the way so the seat angles back further. I’m 6’3” and it’s no problem.

I am 6,5 and fit in my 12iS without the wedge. I have not altered the cushion.

My height is mostly long legs. :) and they fit fine. I have the seat all the way back.
Some people have a long body (torso) and they have a bigger "problem" with fitting in the cockpit.

As a taller pilot you may want to consider using an "in-the-ear" headset as opposed to the more typical "over-the-ear" style of headset. This will give you an inch or so more head clearance under the canopy -- depending on the make/design of the particular OTE headset. With regards to an ITE headset, I have been considering the CQ Headset for my own use (cqheadset.com).

I'm 6'2" and regularly fly both the legacy RV-12 and new RV-12iS models. It's tight to be sure.

As others have mentioned, be sure you have the correct seat cushion (maybe consider getting a custom one.) I've noticed if I fly with a really old cushion I have more head clearance.

Also, The flap on the seat back can be lifted completely clear of the mid fuselage brace so the seatback is actually as far back as it can possibly go.

The legacy -12 uses a simple piano hinge riveted to the seatpan. You could rivet the hinge farther forward than standard to sit in a more reclined position. Maybe more headroom there?

Last solution: build an RV-14 :D

As far as raising the bubble, I know of an RV6 with a lowered bubble that fly's fine. I have seen a few experimentals with raised canopy's: I assume they few fine; because that's how they got to where I have seen them.

Some people get their height with long legs some people get it from a long torso, I'm confident you can get a configuration that works for YOU. A 2" taller bubble may be easier fabricate
than you think.

As a taller pilot you may want to consider using an "in-the-ear" headset as opposed to the more typical "over-the-ear" style of headset. This will give you an inch or so more head clearance under the canopy -- depending on the make/design of the particular OTE headset. With regards to an ITE headset, I have been considering the CQ Headset for my own use (cqheadset.com).

That sounds like great advice :).

Back