What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing carbon fiber plenum with RTV?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
I after the annual is done on the -4, I am planning to improve the sealing of the carbon fiber plenum. We have one made of several pieces of overlapped, dull carbon fiber; not a shiny 1-piece plenum. The areas of overlap don?t have any gaskets; just carbon sheet on sheet and I planned to apply a bead of high temp RTV during reassembly to seal it up a bit.

Are there any reaction / interaction issues with silicone RTV being applied to dull carbon fiber sheets? I mention dull since the glossy, finish grade carbon sheets likely have a thick enough layer of epoxy where the carbon isn?t really in play for such a situation.

Thx

Using RTV will mean you will not be able to repair the baffling ever - the resin will not stick to a surface that has seen a silicone based product. Good quality duct tape might act as a thin gasket of you are worried about sealing. Doesn't matter if the carbon has a layer of epoxy giving it a shine, the silicone will penetrate and prevent anything bonding. If duct tape is too thin how about a strip of cork?

I?d stay away from silicone for the reason mentioned. How about a thin foam tape? The foam would take up any gap up to the thickness of the tape.

I after the annual is done on the -4, I am planning to improve the sealing of the carbon fiber plenum. We have one made of several pieces of overlapped, dull carbon fiber; not a shiny 1-piece plenum. The areas of overlap don?t have any gaskets; just carbon sheet on sheet and I planned to apply a bead of high temp RTV during reassembly to seal it up a bit.

Are there any reaction / interaction issues with silicone RTV being applied to dull carbon fiber sheets? I mention dull since the glossy, finish grade carbon sheets likely have a thick enough layer of epoxy where the carbon isn?t really in play for such a situation.

Thx

I have been using this between my carbon fiber plenum and the aluminum baffles. so far it is working well.

https://www.mcmaster.com/85925K205

There are all sorts of paintable caulk/sealants at the hardware store. PRC sealant (fuel tank or fairing sealant) is very paintable also.

Back